Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARISAKA T38 NAGOYA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: ARISAKA T38 NAGOYA Reply with quote

So I can tell that I have a t38 and it was from Nagoya arsenal. The problem is that either the first digits of the serial number are completely worn or the series symbol is completely worn. Is there another way to determine more of this guns origin.

[/img]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, can you lease post some overall photos showing front sight, top of receiver markings, bolt and safety, just decent general overall pics. Thanks for posting, Trey
Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rifle Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
Welcome to the forum, can you lease post some overall photos showing front sight, top of receiver markings, bolt and safety, just decent general overall pics. Thanks for posting, Trey

I am pretty sure that does not answer my question at all.

But...

gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: 38 Reply with quote

From your additional pictures we now know it is a type 38 carbine (rear sight picture and overall picture) which sort of limits the actual options for serial numbers based on arsenal mark. It can be an 0 series (no series mark) with a 1-4 digit serial number, or a 4th or 5th series carbine with a serial number from 0-99999, or a 6th series carbine with a 1-4 digit number. Since the serial number appears to be 5 digits, and the bolt release appears to have been strawed at one time, I'd guess the series mark that we don't see (in a circle to the left of the serial number) is for the 4th series 'ni'.

If those aren't straw colors on the bolt release spring, and trigger then it was a 5th series Type 38 carbine. That is what the extra pictures told us, and how.

Oh, and that it has been refinished, but does have matching parts.
Thanks for posting! Trey
Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 38 Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
From your additional pictures we now know it is a type 38 carbine (rear sight picture and overall picture) which sort of limits the actual options for serial numbers based on arsenal mark. It can be an 0 series (no series mark) with a 1-4 digit serial number, or a 4th or 5th series carbine with a serial number from 0-99999, or a 6th series carbine with a 1-4 digit number. Since the serial number appears to be 5 digits, and the bolt release appears to have been strawed at one time, I'd guess the series mark that we don't see (in a circle to the left of the serial number) is for the 4th series 'ni'.

If those aren't straw colors on the bolt release spring, and trigger then it was a 5th series Type 38 carbine. That is what the extra pictures told us, and how.

Oh, and that it has been refinished, but does have matching parts.
Thanks for posting! Trey

Thank you. However we did know that it was a type 38 from my original post. I suppose that I I neglected to say that it was a carbine. Not sure if the bolt was ever strawed. Definitely 5 digits in the serial number. That leaves 4 or 5. Maybe I can see a acute triangle if I look carefully enough. So series 5 (the top part horizontal lines of the character and the circumscribing circle as opposed to the encompassing circle of the character from the fourth series. Unless that circle ever touches one of the lines. Is it possible to tell based on the inner markings? Maybe different inspection marks were used for different series? Or different matching system for barrel? As far as the finish, I am not sure if it has been refinished. Urushi can range in tones and while this is darker it is definitely in tone range. Maybe a clear coat went over it in the 40s? I wasnt born then, and I never asked. There is definitely a residue on some of the pieces (see pics with inspection marks). I would assume that is from some finish, unless the original finish can do that after 60 years or more of no full disassembly. However if it was refinished with a different color, they did a good job blending...check out under the barrel...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: