Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Type I Carcano Restoration Project inquiry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Japitalian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Japanese Type I Carcano Restoration Project inquiry Reply with quote

Hello all, I hope you will be able to help me, though I am not entirely certain this is the right sub forum for this question, if so, I am perfectly happy moving it elsewhere and I thank you for the clarification.
I recently was able to pick up Type I that had been scavenged for some parts and had been defaced in the manner of the barrel and receiver having been spray painted.
My Primary goal in this restoration project is to have a companion peice to the two Arisakas (a Type 99 and a Type 38 both of which I will be making other posts about soon) and to the Italian Moschetto Modello 91/38 Cavalleria Carbine (Carcano)
Alas the three parts I need are also the three parts I can't seem to find,
the Buttplate, the Follower, & the handguard
Given that the Type I is essentially a Carcano dressed to look like a type 38, I figured the handguard should be similar enough, and sure enough the Type 38 Hand guard fits fine,
This being the case I was hoping someone might be able to direct me to a source of unfinished reproduction handguards. I have sufficient wood working equipment and experience to finish the wood to a state that matches the main stock body which is rather blonde in color.
Note I am aware of the buttplate that is for sale on Ebay, but I talked with the seller and got the measurements and it is for the long stocked early Type I, not for my shorter stock later production variant.
Thank you.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. The Type Is are interesting in themselves. Wood finish for these, if memory serves, seems to be mostly just a light oil based finish instead to the urushi finish used on Arisakas. I will check the horde this weekend and see if I can turn anything up. Usually eBay is best choice for parts also check with Steve Schaefer stschaefer@bellsouth.net he runs www.japanesemilitaryfirearmsparts.com
and will usually save your request and when he gets something let you know.
If you haven't heard back from me by Monday, drop me an email reminding me. Good Luck, Trey
Japitalian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gwsiii, any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.
As far as the wood finish on the stock goes, it appears to be a tung oil finish on beech wood, both of which would be consistent with the Italians making the stock and the Japanese doing the finish work as I have read elsewhere.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: stock parts Reply with quote

I have not been able to find the stock and parts. I will keep looking off and on and let you know when I find it. Sorry. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: