Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the forum - maybe an interesting T-38 carbine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcollect41

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: New to the forum - maybe an interesting T-38 carbine Reply with quote

Hello - my first post here! Such great information on the website, many things for me to read, with some thoughts to share and some things to learn. I do have a nice collection of WWII Japanese arms, field gear, and bayonets - so though I may be a newbie here, I am not entirely wet behind the ears.

I have a Nagoya Type 38 Carbine that might be interesting for some. It is all matching parts but is missing the dust cover and cleaning rod. It appears to be either a 5th Series or a 27th Series (where the website specifically says "1 reported to date"). That's what may make it interesting and, I thought, worthy of a post.

Honestly, the series mark leading the serial number is not struck completely. The 5th and 27th series marks are quite similar when they are missing the bottom right quadrant. I am working to get some decent photos, though the mark is quite small. I will post the photo a little later but did wonder if anyone out there has photos of actual 5th or 27th series marks I might compare with mine when I do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who finds this interesting. I am looking forward to a good "collector conversation". There hasn't been enough of those for me recently.

DMcollect41
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Carbine Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I missed a carbine marked with 27th series mark at a local show. A friend bought it, and it recently went back in the market. I never got to verify whether it was a true 38 carbine with 27th series mark, or one a gunsmith replaced a ground mum 5th series receiver with a mummed 27th series receiver. Post pictures when you can. Trey
dmcollect41

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: maybe 27th series carbine Reply with quote

Hi, Trey - thank you.

Hopefully, these come out in a helpful way. I've been working hard to figure out how to show this. I'll get some photos of the whole rifle to share also. The mum is intact.

[/img]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a poorly stamped 5th,
here is a larger sampling, just to confuse things.

5th

5th

27th

27th

dmcollect41

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those photos are a super helpful.

Something I can see in person, the "left leg" on my stamp reaches all the way into the center of the "cross" as your 27th stamps show. It does not come up "short" like in the 5th stamps.

I realize I only sent one photo so I will go for some better ones that clearly show that and try and get some white powder in there. From what you provided me, I think it is a poorly stamped 27th.

Here are a few photos of the rifle.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Nice looking rifle, thanks for posting. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: