Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWII Japanese training rifle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecarlan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: WWII Japanese training rifle Reply with quote

I have a WWII Japanese training rifle I would lik more info on where to find info on it
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Trainer Reply with quote

There isn't a lot on the web on trainers, if you can send me some pictures of it with markings show, features, serial# etc.... I'll look it up and get back to you with a general ID and description. Thanks for posting. Trey
hoplophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: WWII Japanese training rifle Reply with quote

I've only seen one of these and it was in 1973 when I worked at a gun shop in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The owner had brought it in to be refinished and reblued so as to make it more presentable in his WWII weapons display cabinet.

I remember that the barrel was made of fairly mild steel that was used for the lighter loads found in their wooden-projectile rounds. It blued-up nicely.

The barrel was also loosely-fitted in the example I saw, and would readily become unscrewed if handled very much.

The receiver seemed to be made of either a very hard steel, or something less desireable, as it wouldn't take the blueing even at higher temperatures. It turned a reddish-color, like the actions on some U.S. 1917 30-06 reblues we did in those days.

The stock and everything else was about what you might expect to see on a "training purposes" rifle, and the weapon bore a good resemblance overall to the Arisaka and Type 99 it was used to train for.

That's all I can remember about it, so I hope it helps some.

HP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: