Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last-ditch WWII Japanese. weapons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoplophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Last-ditch WWII Japanese. weapons Reply with quote

I just posted on another thread in this forum, and was reminded of something I read about in an old publication on WWII Japanese firearms about 30 years ago.

There were pictures and descriptions of some blowback-operated last-ditch light machineguns that I believe were in either 6.5 or maybe even 7.7 standard rifle caliber.

The pics also showed some cases that were badly deformed as a result of being fired from this type of action.

I think they had top-feed magazines like the type 99 (?) light machinegun, and the description of operation during firing was that the op-spring was something like 50 or 100 lbs and was very hard to draw the bolt back.

Anyone else seen these?

HP
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Training MGs Reply with quote

There were some LMGs used for training made by various private firms, some may have been later pressed into service. I've seen a few. I don't really consider them last ditch as they are generally machined rather well, they've just had the hell shot out of them. They were intended for use with very reduced charge gallery ammo, blanks, or ammo with wooden bullets. I've talked to a vet or two that was 'stitched' with a blast from an lmg, and realized they weren't dead, just had splinters everywhere from the wooden bullets. www.dragonsoffire.com may have more info.

The Japanese did utilize the Type-100 Submachine gun. It is found in early and I guess you'd say last ditch configuration. Pretty neat stuff. I'll see if I can dig up some photos. Thanks for posting. Trey
hoplophile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Last-ditch WWII Japanese. weapons Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Trey.

You never know what's true and what's not when you run into this kind of item. There are (and were) so many rumors and a lot of guesswork on the part of laymen who know just enough about Japanese gear and weapons to draw the wrong conclusions. (Like the "knee mortar" thing)

The assumption that this LMG was a last-ditch item undoubtedly arose from the thought that somebody who was about to arm even little girls in order to inflict harm on the enemy, must have been at the end of their rope.

I know I'd have to be pretty hard-up to try a blowback weapon with ANY rifle cartridge!

I'm glad there's somebody else who's run into this item, and that there's at least one other guy who knows I'm not spouting BS.

Please post any pic's and info you might find.

HP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: