Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to estimate value of type 44 carbine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bspeckchaser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: How to estimate value of type 44 carbine Reply with quote

I was recently given two japanese 44 carbines. One is in immaculate condition with all parts matching and bayonet still attached. The other one is in lesser condition!

How does one go about finding the value of the 44 in excellent contidion. I have it presently stored with a gunsmith in Houston but don't know where to start in identifying its worth.

Any help would be appreciated.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Type 44 Reply with quote

First ascertain what they are. You'll need series, serial number, arsenal mark. Series is to the left of the serial number, the serial number itself and the arsenal mark to the right of the serial number. Next you need to figure out if it is a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd variation bayonet housing the difference length and the rear shape of the housing itself where it fits on the stock. From that, we'll know what matching scheme will be found on the rifles so we'll know whether the numbers 'match'. Pictures would also help. I've seen alot of rifles that were described as being lots better than they really were. Trey
03man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T44 run from $150 to 700, depending on the details as expressed in the post above. Do your homework, buy a book, Military rifles of Japan by Honeycutt and Anthony. Watch the online auctions for actual transactions.
Rent a table at a gunshow and sell them there, or put them onlline; you probably won't get the best price from a gunshop or pawn broker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: