Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting the (@*#*$ pin out of a monopod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acollector (forgot PW)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Getting the (@*#*$ pin out of a monopod Reply with quote

I am having a tough time with a reproduction monopod I got. Maybe I'm thickheaded but I can't get this (&%!@ pin out. I took a scrap piece of 2X4 and drilled a hole in it to allow for the pin to come out. I had my
wife hold the monopod part to locate the pin over the hole. I put a punch on the pin from the side that it was slightly more depressed into (to avoid
having the punch slide off the pin) and hit it with a large claw hammer.

Aside from annoying my wife, mushrooming the head of my hardened steel(?) punch, and driving the top of the monopod 1/4" into the wood, nothing happened.

Do I need a hydraulic press for this thing?? Is the pin locked in place by the monopod legs??

Thanks
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Monopod Reply with quote

I didn't think the repro pods had tapered pins at all, just in case try juicing the pin with some WD-40 or penetrating oil, then try gently from both sides, I want to say right-to-left. Be sure to strike the punch inline with the hole, if you have the monopod at an angle on your block, but you're driving the punch straight it might be binding, your punch should not flare out though. Maybe a harder punch? Or try a file across the side thats flush, in case the cut on the pin flared into the opening.

Be very carefull fitting the monopod to the front of the stock, one of the dead giveaways to a repro-pod is freshly scarred wood (white) on the front. The friction from the front band screw heads are really all that a repro pod should come into hard contact with.

Send me an email and let me know what to temporarily reset your password to. Then you can go in and change it to something more secure.
Hope that helps, Trey
03man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin holds the monopod legs in place, not the other way round.
fzane_boxer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: monopod pin!! Reply with quote

Hi. I just removed one last night. The best way I found to remove the pin is to place a 1/4 x 1/4 inch deep well socket/ or long socket with a 1/4 inch extensionattached to it, putting the extension in a vice, with the bottom of the socket flush with the top of the vice. This way you can work with your own hands. Place the monopod on top of the socket, and drive the pin through the monopod into the socket. (note: you can put a new tip on your punch by refacing it back into shape with a grinder.) Good Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: