Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Type 38 owner: Misc questions, value, rust, Re-blue...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSkoolFool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: New Type 38 owner: Misc questions, value, rust, Re-blue... Reply with quote

Hello. My grandfather just gave me a type 38 Arisaka that he aquired when he was over seas during the war. He aquired it out of a train car that was full of the rifles while in Burma. I don't know if it's ever been shot (my g-pa has never shot it). My grandfather said that he hasn't done anything to it besides disassemble (to ship to the states) and reassemble it. It has the mum and looks to be from the Kokura arsenal. The serial number shows seven digits (1,700,000). The wood is very dark and kind of beat up. Some of the metal has some light surface rust. It looks like there was some kind of varnish/clearcoat applied to the surface of the rifle, even on the metal and is chipping off a little (I'm assuming this wasn't put on from the factory but my g-pa said he hadn't done anything to the gun. Any opinions?).

I would like to re-finish the rifle to preserve it and make it more visually pleasing. I know that some collectable rifles should be left just as they are do to value and I want to make sure that this is not a rare piece (besides its story) that I shouldn't re-finish. I have no intentions of ever selling the gun and want pass it through the family.

If I were to re-blue it, would I have to first strip the varnish/clearcoat off of the metal and also do something to get the rust off? What would be the best method to get the rust off with out damaging the metal?

Does the method from here: http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/reblue/hs.asp seem adequate for re-bluing?

I would also like to get the stock in better condition. Do the dishwasher method and or Easy Off methods seem adequate for what I'd like to do?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/dishwashermethod/index.asp
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/refinish/hs.asp

Any recommendations on stain? What should be put on for glossyness and to pretect the wood? Varnish work fine?

What color is the safety switch supposed to be? I've seen pictures of it blued and also silverish.

I don't think the rifle has been oiled in over 60 years. Are you not supposed to put oil in the bolt? Just supposed to clean it?

The rifle is missing the cleaning rod and rear sling swivel which I would eventually like to purchase. Do those hardware pieces as well as the butt plate get blued?

I greatly appreciate anyone's time for answering my questions. If a pic is needed to see the extent of the surface rust please let me know.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: 38 Reply with quote

Without seeing the rifle it is hard to tell. Whatever you do, don't sand, refinish, reblue without letting someone look the rifle over. Clean the metal with 0000 steel wool or nickel or bronze wool, and light gun oil or WD40. Several light cleanings work better than one deep cleaning.You'll be surprised how much better it will look with just cleaning. The lacquer/shellac can be removed with a variety of chemicals that used lightly will not remove the original finish (if any) left underneath. If you refinish the rifle in any way, it automatically drops to fair/poor condition since it is no longer original. If your questions weren't answered on the other board, feel free to contact me. Gool Luck. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: