Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 95% grade excellent Arisaka RARE! Original

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Type 99 95% grade excellent Arisaka RARE! Original Reply with quote

Arsenal: Izawa Jyuko (total between 2 types is 60,000)
type 4 (10,000)

Totally original, this gun has been stored and not fired since WWII. It has been barely fired period. The barrel inside IS FLAWLESS. The Spiral is striking. The Chamber shows very little bullet wear supporting the barely fired theory. The gun has virtually all of its "blue Steel". The markings are striking and deep. All serial numbers match and are striking. The stock has beatiful grain. The stock still has an original Shine. THere is a small number of knicks on the stock showing "Field Use" and proving it is not refinished. Yet the gun Is barely Fired. There are no knicks or scratches on the steel nor inside the barrel.

This gets Interesting!
I have the original Bayonet With it that has wear on the blue steal "no rust" showing use. There IS BLOOD RESIDUE on the Bayonet that goes about 8 inches from the tip of the knife back. The gun is in it's original state yet has no AA sight, bipod and other field upgrades. This would support a theory that this gun was wielded by a guard who killed with his bayonet rather than fire his gun.

What do you guys think of this example of a type 99 Arisaka. You can feel the mastique of this weapon. When I thrust it forward with the bayonet it sent shivers down my spine.

This to me may seem like An Arisaka that you don't see around to much. How much trouble have you guys seen with finding examples like this or small pop counts of arsenals. To the right collector this gun would be a fortune.

Not counting "concentric Circle" type 99, this gun is the 3rd rarest arsenal edition and 3rd rarest manufacture "run" of the type 99.

I will be taking pictures in the near future.

Does anyone know of any similar guns that have sold and what they sold for.

What do you think this gun may be worth. I have my Idea but don't wanna say Razz

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to find a gun like this in this condition and rarity.

Any other info is great too.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Type 99 Reply with quote

Izawa produced about 10,000 rifles from the 4th series and about 22,000 rifles from the 9th series. The 4th series at Izawa was a short run. At this point, rifles from the 4th series only demand a slight premium over normal production. I don't know why. They are twice as rare as paratroop rifles, but only bring 1/4 the price. You did not mention whether the mum was ground or not. Please send me a data sheet on the rifle. Its hard to put a value on your rifle without seeing it. Thanks for posting, Trey.
DK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mum is striking! Anything that is marked on this gun from the arsenal is flawless!
DK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO izawa arsenal has a total production of 32,000 rather than 60,000? I saw on the website that shares info on this matter that said the type 9 IZAWA has a pop of 50k.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Izawa Reply with quote

The highest serial number reported for Izawa for the 9th series is 21432. Howa Jyuko (different arsenal) also produced a little over 31,000. Maybe that is where the 50k came from. With a struck mum (not ground) I'd guess $250-$350 without seeing it, if completely matching and original. If its as nice as you say it is, add $50-$150 maybe. Figure $50-$75 for a standard complete bayonet. If the condition is that high, it probably indicates the rifle was never issued and taken from storage during the occupation. However, a struck mum (instead of ground), usually indicates battle field capture. On a side note, I have a Type 38 carbine that my Grandfather brought back in 1946 that had a struck mum rather than a ground one. So who really knows for sure. Trey
03man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Izawa rifles Reply with quote

I suggest you buy the book "Military Rifles of Japan", has much information. You have received good info from Trey.

I have three Izawa's in my collection, all are ground. They are scarce but not rare. Yours sounds like a nice example.

Pitting of any kind does not add to the desireability of the bayonet.
Blood or otherwise.
DK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How scarce are type 4 Izawa's in 95% condition? An All Original base gun? curious if anyone has any idea?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Izawa Reply with quote

I've got 5, one is about 99%, the others run 80-90%. I seem to see quite a few of these in better than average condition, but I do see some that aren't. It is really hard to tell, without seeing it. 6 months in a damp basement can turn a solid grade 1 gun into a bad grade 3. Storage conditions, handling, and routine maintenance play a big part in the condition of the war trophys we find today. I've bought quite a few rifles advertised as Grade 1 from advance militaria collectors, only to receive them and find out something was very wrong. I was at one show where a common refinished rifle and an Izawa 4th were for sale in the same rack. Both were matching and complete, with struck mums. The common rifle was $275 and shiny and pretty in all its refinished glory. The Izawa was $250 and only about 80% (Grade 2). Buyer wanted one Japanese rifle, he bought the refinished one at $275 after being offered the Izawa for $225. In essence, the rifle is worth what any single person is willing to give for it at any one time. At auction, the rifle is only worth what 2 or more people are willing to give for it at one time.
I've recently been buying Jinsen Type 38s (0 and 30th series) for study. Total production a little over 12,500. With the inital run marked 'for education' totaling less than 400 pieces. I've bought 3 of the initial run (no series) ranging from $250-$500. I've bought 6 Jinsen 30th series rifles, ranging in prices from $195-$500. I bought my Izawa 4th series rifles from $100-$400 each in cash and trade. While I would not sell them for that. It is indicative of what they can be expected to bring on the market. A very nice 9th series Izawa recently sold for around $350 at auction, just to give you an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: