Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 44 Carbines - updated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Type 44 Carbines - updated Reply with quote

I've still got quite a fondness for the Type 44 Cavalry Carbines, and have a few 'updates' to share. Sorry about the picture quality.

from bottom to top....
Tokyo no series 1st variation Type 44 Carbine #25897 (56k produced)
Tokyo no series 1st variation Type 44 Carbine #26141 (56k produced)
Kokura no series 2nd variation Type 44 Carbine #60313 (9.5k produced)
Kokura no series 2nd variation Type 44 Carbine #64574 (9.5k produced)
Kokura no series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #67788 (3.5k produced)
Kokura 1st series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #05524 (9k produced)
Kokura 1st series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #08268 (9k produced)
Kokura 1st series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #08250 (9k produced)
Nagoya no series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #1503 (2k produced)
Nagoya 2nd series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #2161 (11k produced)
Nagoya 2nd series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #5192 (11k produced)
Nagoya 2nd series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #6838 (11k produced)
Nagoya 2nd series 3rd variation Type 44 Carbine #10617 (11k produced)
Total Type 44 Carbine production, all arsenals, series, variations is around 92,000.

Tokyo no series 1st variation Type 44 Carbine #32925 (56k produced) is sitting in a corner, until I can swap racks.
car99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's where all the T44's are! Great pics of the AL show too. I asked the museum here if I could clean the dirty dark T44 they have, but they say the huge plexiglass case it's in is too heavy to lift.......Jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: 44 Carbines Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! Hopefully you'll be able to convince the museum that some preservative steps need to be taken. I have seen quite a few rifles that have gone to hell due to lack of proper cleaning before and during storage. It's a shame. Trey
Jareth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know you no longer need my no series Nagoya. Now I can finally get a good nights sleep. Wink
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Type 44s Reply with quote

Ah, Jareth, but I need to rescue yours, as its matching, and in the 'blue states.' It needs to migrate South away from the carpet baggers, scalawags, charlatans, and other nefarious ne'er-do-wells generally associated with the North (present company not included in this generalization).
I generally stack 3; 1st variation, 2nd variation, and 3rd Variation (kokura 1st). Now I need to stack 3 more, Kokura 3rd variation (no series), Nagoya 3rd variation (no series) and Nagoya 3rd variation (2nd series). So, I still need yours and another Kokura 3rd variation (no series). I also need a 1st variation to 2nd or 3rd variation rework, and a China Campaign example. As to rarity, From sheer production numbers, the rarest looks to be the Nagoya 2nd series, 3rd variation with all blued finish but polished bolt. They fall into a serial range of less than 1500 I think, which makes them scarcer than the Nagoya no series. Thanks for posting. Trey
Archivist Dick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: For gwsiii Reply with quote

Please forgive this idle question: How does the typical Type 44 carbine "shoot?"

By this I mean do these rifles group well on paper? Do issue iron sights help or hurt accuracy? Are they well-balanced when popped "offhand?" Are the actions reasonably slick? And, is the rifle's COI altered when the bayonet is fixed?

I'd like nothing better than to try one of 'em out at the range. Yet I'm not sure they'd be terribly satisfying compared to your typical Arisaka. When can you say about them in the field?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: T44s Reply with quote

The accuracy on the early variations was hampered by inadequate barrel float. They later lengthened the bayonet housing with some slight redesign to compensate. The balance is pretty good when shooting, recoil is light. Some years ago at the Shootout there was a 6.5 Carbine competition, a 3rd variation type 44 finished 2nd. They are more accurate than I am, but I can't really say how they compare to a standard 38. I can't see well enough to shoot for score. Maybe someone else will chime in. Trey
Archivist Dick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Type 44s as Shooters Reply with quote

Thanks, Trey, for your remarks regarding these fine carbines and the reason for their being. I am very glad to have those observations.

I've been interested in them for a long, long time, as practical firearms. Was offered one for $100 over a decade ago; regret now not being in a position to take it up (really wasn't, it was just impossible).

You've an outstanding collection. It must irk not being able to put some of them thru their paces. There are optical aids available for sale that could enhance your personal enjoyment of selected pieces. But I'm sure you know that already.

Thanks again, Trey, for your help. I'm encouraged now and might just try to score a Type 44 at an upcoming fun show.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: 44 Carbines Reply with quote

Good Luck, I think they are some of the most finely finished of all the Japanese Rifles and you're very likely to find one in excellent to better condition if you keep looking. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for posting. Trey
Andy Walters

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Type 44 Reply with quote

Hello to all, I have a type44 with a very nice mechined mozzel cover, and I am trying to determine what type it is, as well as a value. Thanks Andy Smile
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Type 44 Carbine Reply with quote

Andy, Thanks for Posting! Take a look at the Arsenal page and the Series page and email me that information along with pictures (if you can) and a description of the rifle and muzzle cover (including the serial number and any numbers on the parts, bolt handle, firing pin, safety, floorplate, and underside of bayonet housing). Whether the mum is struck, ground or present, and the condition of the stock. All of this is essential to identifying and putting a value on any Japanese Rifle. The arsenal mark is to the right of the serial number and the series mark (if there is one) is the mark in a circle to the left of the serial number. It should have either: no series mark, 1st series mark, or 2nd series mark. Let me know what you find out. Trey ( gstancil@ncpsolutions.com )
galleyslave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Type 44 parts Reply with quote

Could you tell me where I might find a folding bayonett, a top hand guard, and the metal clamps for a 44. My father brought this one home from WWII and I would like to get it back into shape.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Type 44 parts Reply with quote

Your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay. Be sure it is a Type 44 before you start buying parts. Also you need to indentify which variation rifle it is. There are 3 variations of the bayonet housings, each uses a different bayonet housing, and handguard. We'll need Arsenal, series and serial number to nail down the parts you need. Series mark (if any) will be in a circle to the left of the serial number, the arsenal mark will be to the right of the serial number. Pictures of your receiver and rifle would also help. A bayonet housing will run about $150, a handguard, if you can find one, may run the same. You might be better off, buying a complete gun and taking the parts off of it that you need. Let me know if you have any questions. Trey
arisakadogs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far shooting Japanese rifles, a T-44 I used to have was one of the best shooters I ever had. It was a Nagoya 2nd S/N 11113. I'm not much of a "paper puncher" - I like to break things or knock them around! Seems like it would never miss! Wish I'd have never let it go. My T-99 long Nagoya is now my favorite shooter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: