Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chromed barrel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Chromed barrel Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can help me understand what I have and possible value. I know it's T99 short from the Tokyo Juki Kogyo Arsenal and the serial number is 20346. It has adjustable rear sites and a location for mono pod. The bore is great but the hard part to understand is that the bore is chromed. I thought maybe a Naval issue...
I've had this rifle for 45 years and only now trying to find out what it is. I've never fired it and its in real nice shape.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bushido101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Chromed Bore Reply with quote

The early Type 99's all had chromed bores, they stopped production of chrome bores mid war to save on time, expence,and material. The early one's that were chromed are some good made rifles.
Hardass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the reply. Any idea what the value of this would be? No rust, good wood very clean bore and rifling.
Bushido101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Typ99 Reply with quote

If it has the mum on the reciever and is not ground and numbers all match, $325.00-$350.00, if it has the dust cover on the bolt, cleaning rod and mono-pod it could be more post a photo if you can.
Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do with a photo. The mum is ground off no dust cover.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: 37 SERIES Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice rifle, Figure $175 to $275 for ground matching in original condition. Look for marks at the front band for the impression of a monopod. Your rifle is near the cutoff where pods were dropped. So without seeing that area it would be hard to say whether or not it had a pod. TJK (Toyo Juki Kogyo) monopods were all marked on the right side of the monopod band spring. If you can get some pictures and can't figure out how to post them, email them to me and I'll post them for you. When you get a chance, please send me a datasheet on your rifle along with any history. My data in the 10k-21k range is sort of lacking, most of the information I have in that range is from older datasheets that did not include numbering and other key features. Let us know if you have any other questions, thanks for posting, Trey
Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the data sheet and I'll mail it to you. I had a heck of a time with the Japanese characters and doubt if any are correct. Also it looks like this weapon was varnished.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: 37th Reply with quote

If its sanded/varnished that will put it in the $100-$200 range with the upper end being someone that wants a 'pretty' rifle. Still, a stock could eventually be found. But they will run $100-$150. The characters (inspection marks) are pretty tough, so don't lose any sleep over them. I'm mainly concerned with the parts and numbering. Thanks for your help. Trey Stancil
Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not sanded but I'm sure it's been varnished. The Data sheets are in the mail.
Thanks for the help.
Hardass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck with the data sheets?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: datasheets Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I got them, I'm about 2 months behind keying in data, I'll try and dig them out this weekend. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: