Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 with original carved name tag attached to sling PICS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reel adventure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Type 99 with original carved name tag attached to sling PICS Reply with quote

From what I can tell I have a original type 99 series 22 from the Kokura arsenal equipped with the mono pod and anti aircraft sights. The mum design is in perfect condition (captured rifle from what i have gathered). No Bayonet but everything else is complete and in good condition. There is a split or hole on the wood top near towards the end of the barrel.

Now for the interesting part... on the original sling there is a small carved name tag with symbals on both sides. How can I research this tag? It would be intersting to find out more history about it.

I have had the rifle for about 10 years. It came from a uncle that probally brought it back from WWII.

Any Ideas on how to find out more about the tag? Is this rare?

Thanks

Last edited by reel adventure on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: tag Reply with quote

Tags are found from time to time, most are not in good enough shape to accurately translate though. If you'll post, or send me some clear pictures of it, I'll see if I can get it translated for you. Please download and fill out a datasheet (link in my signature below) along with any history and send to me when you get a chance. Thanks for posting. Trey
reel adventure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: pics added Reply with quote

thanks for your response , I just added the pics.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: 99 tag Reply with quote

I received this reply from Edokko:

Quote:
Took a look at the photos, and the first one of the tag is probably either a
unit number or the rifle serial number. The carving is a bit sloppy and
can't make out for sure but looks like 544 or 9144 or something like that.
The second photo of the flip side is the soldiers name "Yoshida", not Kilroy
this time.
Hope this helps.

Looks like you have a keeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: