Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 99 chamber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagoya10-99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Type 99 chamber Reply with quote

I have a 10th series Nagoya Last Ditch T-99 that is all matching. I took the firing pin and safety off the bolt and chambered, from the magazine, some 7.7 ammo I had. I first tried some reloads I bought years ago and they chambered and the bolt closed easy with no back and forth movement of bolt when closed. I next chambered 5 original Japanese 7.7 rounds, 2 steel cased and 3 brass cased. One of the steels the bolt closed fine on, but the other 4 rounds the bolt closed with some effort, although it did close. The bolt, extractor, firing pin and safety numbers match the last 3 of the receiver number and the bolt and parts are Nagoya proofed. The bolt though only has the "m" markings on the back of the bolt handle base, but the numbering matched the extractor number in size and shape perfectly. I dont have any doubt, from my observations, that the bolt is the original to the rifle. Serial is 1093

Is this a normal type chamber? My understanding from reading posts on various forums, the Japanes 99's have loose chambers. This chamber appears to be pretty tight. The bore and chamber are near mint and the rifle looks to have had virtually no use other than handling. As an aside, the mum is present but has 3 light strike marks.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: 10th series chamber Reply with quote

This one is out of my area. But, I'll try what I can. Check the base/rim of your ammo that works and doesn't. A few years ago a lot of LMG on stripper clips was being sold as rifle ammo. It seems like this ammo usually had a black? ring where the bullet seats in the case I think, and is also semi-rimmed, where as you rifle ammo should not be rimmed. That could be what is happening.

I have noticed difficulty closing the bolt sometimes, but have been accused of being 'too easy' on the bolt.

I was hoping, Riceone or Shannon would spot this and reply. I don't know chamber, ballistic, or reloading technicalities. The above is the extent of my knowledge. By that time in the war, tolerances with loose, but the weapons should still be safe to fire. Hope that is of some help. Trey

Shannon? Riceone? Your thoughts?
riceone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: T 99 Chamber Reply with quote

I took a 7.7 Seating die and took the seating stem out and inserted into the die three rounds. Norma factory, 7.7 military with black tip and a 7.7 taken from a brass 30 round machine gun slide and a 7.7 go gauge. I used a digital caliper and measured from the top of the die to the bottom of the cartridge, measured the rim dia., base dia., and neck dia.

Cartridge Rim Base Neck OL Length

Norma .471" .471" .334" 3.135"

Japanese Rifle .471" .471" .338" 3.145"

7.7 Mach. Gun .497" .472" .337" 3.146"

7.7 go gauge 3.145

I don't see that this means anything except it was interesting to me to see how close all the measurements were. I'm interesting in what someone else might say. riceone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: