Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd Type 99, 100th question!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: 2nd Type 99, 100th question! Reply with quote

My 2nd Type 99 arrived today! Yay! Sort of belated birthday present from me, to me! Anyway, this is a late series, and looks to be a 34th series, but I'm not sure about that. See the picture below.
My question today is about the stock. 2 pieces? with short handguard? It just seems sort of strange. Could this be duffle cut? I haven't taken it apart yet, so I'm just starting on this one, trying to get it cleaned up a little (Trey's WD-40 method only).

thanks,
Mark
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

That's a 34th series from Toyo Kogyo, stock should have a separate fore-end (two piece) and fullers (finger grooves). That particular style is original not duffle cut/barracks cut etc.... It makes it a lot easier to fit the stock in to the pinned front band and assemble the rest of the rifle. That's right after they went to a pinned front band (D) and that style (F) stock, fixed rear sight (E) and short (D) hand guard. Nice find! That's what I consider, last ditch configuration, but still early enough to shoot if everthing is tight. They are quite addictive! Trey
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: you da man! Reply with quote

As always, Trey, you've got the goods!
Many thanks! I wasn't sure about that series mark, since it didn't seem to be quite so square a "capital I" as it is in the book. Speaking of the book, I'm looking at the 5th Edition of MROJ. This says the lowest serial number observed for fixed rear sight, and separate forestock, is 57472. My new Type 99 has both of these, and serial 55640. Is this worth filling out a data sheet on?

thanks again,
Mark
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Always worth filling out a data sheet. I only have 3 modern sheets in the 50k range. So any additional are always welcome. The lowest fixed rear sight I've got is 54170. Trey
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: you win. Reply with quote

lol
Ok. I'll try to fill one out and get it too you. I'm having trouble printing from this new laptop, so it may take a few days. It may also take a few days to get this rifle clean! Nice barrel, but the whole thing is really grimy.

Mark
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: rifle Reply with quote

gwsiii wrote:
..., but still early enough to shoot if everthing is tight. ...

Hopefully it's ok to trim down the quote.

Since I plan on shooting this, what do you mean, "tight?" It seems that the extractor is not really tight on the bolt, but otherwise the action seems tight when closed, again with the exception of the extractor. What do you think, Trey? It closes and extracts my dummy round, though it doesn't seem to eject vigorously, like my Series 23 does.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I've have a few that the safety post weld has broken on, and the safety post wiggles. I just meant that the action locks up, and everything worked. Trey
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: matching Reply with quote

Trey, This bolt matches the receiver, along with the extractor and safety. The safety seems very solid! I've even verified that the safety works! Would this be a "blob" safety? It isn't like a large blob, and pretty much flat, but clearly not entirely flat, and not a groove in sight! Maybe I should take a couple more pictures. I may have one already.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: safety Reply with quote

that's a C/E smooth weld, turned down. Safeties later in the 33rd and at the beginning of the 34th series were turned completely smooth. Trey
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: my procrastinator is showing! Reply with quote

Finally got the printer working, and completing the data sheet on this one. I need a little help with the #14, Firing pin. Is the picture there just the rear section? The largest diameter part? This looks like A to me, but nothing else on this rifle is A.

TIA
Mark
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: pin Reply with quote

Mark, that's correct, the drawings are just of the rear sections, these would be 'A' pins....
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: still more! Reply with quote

Great! An A firing pin. Now I'm on page 2. Inspection marks. The bolt seems to have 3, on the square (root?) part, but none of them look like the inspection marks for TK listed. Maybe it's not important, but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. Especially since I've taken over a year to get this filled out!

Mark
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: inspection Reply with quote

I don't have one in that range, my 3 digit 34 has TK4 or TK5 multiple times. My 4 digit early 35th has TK7,9 and I think TK8. If you're not sure, don't worry with it, I've got a little more work to do on inspection marks. Trey
Garandshtr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: since I couldn't tell... Reply with quote

I just skipped it. At least I got it in the mail! Small victory there. Not a cherry by any stretch, but I like it. As you say, matching numbers are nice, even if they don't fit perfectly.

thanks,
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: