Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pacific - HBO Miniseries (Pacific Band of Brothers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: The Pacific - HBO Miniseries (Pacific Band of Brothers) Reply with quote

For a long time rumors have circulated that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were collaborating on a World War II: Pacific Theater/Marine Corps HBO mini series in the same spirit of their highly respected “Band of Brothers.” This is no longer a rumor. In 2010, “The Pacific” will air on HBO as a ten part mini series.

“The Pacific” is based on the books “With the Old Breed,” by Eugene Sledge, which was hailed by historian Paul Fussell as “one of the finest memoirs to emerge from any war,” and “Helmet for My Pillow,” by Robert Leckie (recipient of the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Annual Award), as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers. Continuing the World War II oral history work begun by his father Stephen E. Ambrose (author of the book Band of Brothers), Hugh Ambrose serves as a consultant on the miniseries, as does Captain Dale Dye, USMC (Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and Platoon).

The miniseries follows Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. Specifically, it tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie (played by James Badge Dale), Eugene Sledge (played by Joe Mazzello) and John Basilone (played by Jon Seda) - across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day.

Watch the Official HBO Trailer

other sites of interest:
Pacific A Fan Site

Para Research Team - The Pacific a Fan Site

For those that don't know, Eugene B. Sledge ("Sledgehammer" author of With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa and China Marine: An Infantryman's Life after World War II both books are excellent reads!) was a resident of Alabama and Professor at the University of Montevallo here. One of his sons (Henry I believe) periodically attends the Blevins shoot and occassional AGCA Gunshows with a small display of stuff that was brought back/belonged to his Dad. See Pelileu Then and Now by John Sledge.

Photograph courtesy of Auburn University Libraries
This is a picture of some of the men in Company K-3-5, 1st Marine Division. Eugene B. Sledge is in the center of the front row, with his dungaree cap pushed back; his buddy George Sarrett is behind his right shoulder. This is the company that Sledge fought with in the Pacific in World War II. Sledge wrote a book about his combat experiences and the men of K-3-5 called With The Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa.

Photograph courtesy of Auburn University Libraries
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I talked with Henry Sledge today, Watch for a Pacific - Trailer during the superbowl tonight. Details on the show later. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Watch Episdoe 1, The Pacific Reply with quote

If you have high speed internet Click here to watch episode 1 free.....
oopy38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Pacific HBO Series Reply with quote

All 10 episodes have come and gone. I personally was disappointed in that about half of it (it seems like) was about not just Eugene Sledge, but also two other Marines' personal lives, before and during the war. If you have not read Sledge's book I urge you to do so. It was the best book about combat I have ever read. Also, I have not seen it mentioned, but he wrote a second book, "China Marine". I did not know until I read it that after the war, U.S. Marines were sent to mainland China (Sledge was one of them) to try to keep the peace and protect innocent civilians from the surrendered, but still fully armed Japanese troops, the Chinese Nationalists, and the Chinese Reds. Best Wishes and good reading to all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: