Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sportorized Model 38 carbine has unexpected caliber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazer

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Sportorized Model 38 carbine has unexpected caliber Reply with quote

I would appreciate any insight or information on a rifle at a local gun store that is being sold as an Arisaka 38 sportorized, but chambered in .250-3000 Savage. I never knew Arisakas came in anything by the original two Japanese calibers. My internet search landed me one other unusual Arisaka caliber, also a Savage, the .300 Savage.

Can anyone shed any light on these rifles. How unusual are these alternatively-chambered rifles? What would be a fair price? Are these converted Arisakas, or is it possible that they were manufacturered this way and sold commercially (for sport) for some period of time before the start of the war? I have heard that the Model 38 enjoyed some exotic popularity in Britain and Europe prior to the war and that T.E. Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia, used one in his campaigns against the Turks.

I assume that manufacturing ceased when the war ended, but also considered the possibility that some of these sportorized rifles might have been manufactured during post-war reconstruction, perhaps even in some agreement with Savage to sell them here or in Europe.

This rifle did have the Mum and some Japanese symbols on the top of the receiver and a relatively low serial number, in the 80,000s I believe.

Very curious and would appreciate any info at all, to help decide on this rifle.

Thanks,
lazer
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: 38 Sporter Reply with quote

Sorry Lazer was out of town. The Type 38 for use by Japan was basically manufactured in 6.5 Japanese. There are a few experimental Japanese conversions to other calibers, but most conversions are post war and not done by the Japanese. The Chinese converted a number to 8mm after the war. The caliber you mention is a post war, most likely US gunsmith conversion as the original Ammo was scarce for quite a few years. As to value, when modified in any way that is not original to the gun, value is hurt. Price is dependent on the configuration of the sporterization, (does the gun still look original or has stock been cut/sanded, bolt turned down etc.) When it doesn't look like it did the day it left the factory, collector value goes down. I bought a very nice original Type 38 this weekend matching, with some bad screws for $100, I personally would rather have that than something modified to a non-original caliber, but that is your call. Thanks for posting. Trey
riceone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Sporterized Rifles Reply with quote

After WW11 Japanese rifles were plentiful and ammunition was non existant. So many were re-chamberd or re-barreled to something else. 250 Savage was popular for the T38 Action. Also many were simply rechambered to 257Rx6.5 which made the old European cartridge 6.5 x 57. I remember reading in the 60 where rifles were used in the matches at Camp Perry based on T38 Actions.

The 7.7 could simply be re-chambered to 30-06 and worked fine provided you seated the bullets a little deep. The barrels were also set back one thread and rechambered to 300 Savage and that make a good rifle.

I have a T38 in the original caliber and 6.5x57, 7x57, 7.62x39 and re-barreled to .257 Roberts.

riceone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: