Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange 6.5mm Mukden?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1gewehr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Strange 6.5mm Mukden? Reply with quote

I have a 6.5mm rifle that appears to be a Mukden Mauser. The receiver markings seem to be 'Type 45'. The stock is a two-piece with clear stock markings and a rack number. All numbers match except the bolt. Condition is Good, with a very nice (non-chromed) bore.
I had this for years and bought it with a stack of Chinese Mausers. Only recently have I started to go through those rifles and get them cleaned up and identified.

Can anyone shed light on this rifle?

[IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/1gewehr/mukdenbreech.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/1gewehr/mukdenstock.jpg[/IMG]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I've seen a few, I have one. As far as I know they are referred to as Type 45 rifles. They tend to exhibit, Arisaka type features or Mauser type features (rear sight/bolt handle shape/caliber). Mine appears to be 6.5 Japanese in caliber. I don't know that anyone has identified them as actually being produced at Mukden though. Maybe someone will come along and add some to the discussion.

1gewehr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has typical Machurian Model 13 features (long tang, rounded pistol grip, stacking hook, Mauser bayonet lug under barrel, etc). The bolt handle has an Arisaka look to it. The chamber casting proved it is definitely 6.5 Arisaka.
I'm still cleaning it up. It was originally so caked with gunk that no markings were visible.

This is the first reference I've seen to a 'Type 45' rifle.
Thank you.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

I'll try and post some pictures of mine. I thought I'd already posted some, but maybe I just 'disremembered' doing it. It has what appears to be a date, 9.45 and a serial number, 1969 on the left side of the receiver. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: pics from auction Reply with quote

Here are the pics from one that was auctioned off a little over a year ago.

1gewehr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's actually rougher than mine! Do you remember what it brought at auction?
Trey, can you read the markings on the stock on mine? Any idea what they mean? I appreciate all the information.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Type 45 Reply with quote

$600 was the final bid, plus a bit for shipping. The marking on the stock are usually something like "People's Militia" but vary. I don't know how to translate them.
Here's some shots of mine...The Japanese/Arisaka features include, guarded front sight, peep style ladder rear sight, bolt handle knob, bolt release, 2 piece stock, dust cover grooves, notched stock on right side, two piece tangs, two gas ports in receiver.

Side receiver markings, a Lazy Z in a square, followed by F45.9.

The markings on the top of the receiver (left to right, last picture) 4 5 Type
1gewehr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: what a variety! Reply with quote

I never would have imagined that there was such a large number of variations of a rifle model I had not heard of until today!

My rifle has no markings on the left side of the receiver except the three-digit serial #. The rear sight is a typical Mauser tangent sight and has a mauser-style upper handguard that covers the rear of the barrel. Aside from that, it has all the Arisaka features in common with the other two you've pictured.

I'll get some more photos up this weekend when I get my camera back from my son.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

My picture spot is filled up with Kendo Armor, I'll try and get things rearranged and get some more pictures this weekend. The other variation is more like your typical Chinese Mauser, unprotected front sight, normal Mauser like rear sight and bolt handle. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: better Reply with quote

Some better pictures of mine.

These are full length, click on image to see.

DEFUC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey why come we no shooted that one yet???????? ME wanna make it go bang-bang.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that should be our simple plan for shootout 2011, drag out all the oddballs to play with,Im already building some ammo for Dons tientsin 8MM and my indonisian .303 conversion mannlicher..youve got some real odditys hiding around your cave..Ive gotta build some 6.5 dutch too since we have a couple of those kicking around now.should be able to find some 65IR's and 7.9 type conversions without too much trouble even if I had to build them out of your horde....could be fun, firing a heap of differnt japanese impressed arms and "cousins".
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: rifles Reply with quote

Fine by me, we haven't made this one go 'BANG' (or 'BOOM') yet because it doesn't have an extractor, I haven't been able to find one that fits, and functions in it....I guess we could go 'BANG' "Who's got a cleaning rod?", 'BANG', "Hand me the cleaning rod again...", repeat.....It wouldn't be the first time that has been done up there......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: