Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Birmingham AGCA show Summer 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Birmingham AGCA show Summer 2010 Reply with quote

Wow, what a show! Details to follow....

Last edited by gwsiii on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't reply at length right now as my head is still spinning from all the goodies seen at the show. More to follow. Shocked
Jareth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon! cruel & unusual punishment! tell us what you bought, saw & lost out on!!!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: B'ham show... Reply with quote

Observed 20.6 94 and canvas holster...Minty 37th series early 4 digit# all goodies but DC match/mum, very nice classic 7th series, nice match/mummed early 25th series with long sight and kanji on stock, spiffy matchlock, one of the last ditch un-numbered Type 14s. Very nice T30 carbine with brass Type 38 muzzle cover, 38 carbine with kokura sniper bolt and 99 pin/knob (incidentally floorplage matches bolt so it is correct, Wink right? Wink KNIL? conversion 1899 Steyr that accepts Type 30 bayonet. Hoten 38 Carbine, nice Izzy 9. I saw a minty match/mum 6th series Type 99. Someone got a 66 Winchester SRC for next to nothing I heard. Seems like there were several other things, but I can't place them right now.

Alas I had no money, so I could only watch, scheme, threaten, whine, and advise...I had more fun at this show than any in a long time. I received a pretty nifty canteen body and a 2 digit Type 38 dust cover as reword for my efforts (expertise/advice/cajoling/whining). I shudder to think what else might have been out there had I made a concerted effort to 'walk' the show.

We fared reasonably well with our displays.
I was out of theme, (Cowboy era) apparently my "Handheld Weapons of the Far-Far-Far West" wasn't considered 'in theme'. I don't know what they had against Japanese Cowboys.....But I still made my table rent, so all is well.

We got to spend time with the OldeOne, Alsaka, KReid and Nephew, Type_14 and his buddy whom I'll dub 'HooterLovinHellRaisinSemiRetiredHelicopterFlyingClosetArisakistInDenial..Sir', I suggested that both of the aforementioned should join my 12 step program but they declined. It involves descending 12 steps and making an offering.....but I digress. Great guys one and all! As I've mentioned before, a gunshow is first and foremost a social event, the goodies are secondary, but this show made up for previous shortcomings, most of the more interesting stuff got picked up by the 'good guys'. In all a fine show with good toys and even better company!
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, it was great seeing you and your Dad again. This by far was one of the most fun shows I have attended in a long time. Now only did we get to see, hold, drag around all the goodies that Trey has mentioned but this show had more Arisaka's than I have seen at one show in a long time. Not only your normal Type-38's and Type-99's but Type-30's as well. I don't think there was a row that you could walk down and not see a table somewhere along the way that didn't have a Japanese related item on it. At least a dozen Type-14's where also sighted.

I'll try and get some photos of a couple of things that found their way home with me tomorrow night after work and get them posted.

As Trey stated this show made up for a couple of dry shows in the past. Of course I'm now broke!
keithreid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show was a lot of fun. I hadn't intended to rent a table this time, but me and my nephew didn't count how many rifles we loaded when we came and there was no way we could walk around with that many.

I wasn't looking to buy this show, trying to downsize. go figure there was finally a mukden no series carbine around. I'm never gonna get one of those to round out the mukdens!
I did see a scopeless type 97, and remember one type 30 rifle with a s/n just under 42,000 that looked in decent shape. stock looked refinished though. also a couple t99 longs, some regular t99's, and a few 38's. didn't look too closely at them, cause I didn't want to bring more home.

Glad you tried the t30 bayo on that hembrug rifle, I never would have thought about it. I had always thought the lug was different from the other hembrug rifle because it was an earlier rifle.
show was weird for me. I guess I'm gonna have to get used to the idea of selling rifles instead of acquiring more. still a new concept.

y'all have a good day, Keith
type-14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached are photos of the matchlock that I picked up. The smith on this one really knew his folklore. I just had to have it once I saw all the work the rabbit was the kicker for me to spring the dollars loose of it. Enjoy the photos.

; ;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: