Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plugged barrel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwbrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Plugged barrel Reply with quote

I just got a 24th series Kokura, that is all matching but has a plugged barrel (I knew it upfront). The plug seems to be about a 12" segment of soft metal. Any thoughts about removing it? I don't plan to use it as a shooter (although...). The tip is broken off the firing pin, but that is something that can be fixed or just replaced for 'field use'.

It's been referred to as an addiction. I can live with that.
riceone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Plugged barrel Reply with quote

Without seeing a picture I assume the metal is put in from the front. If there is no evidence of a weld I would think it could be forced back out. If its solder, some heat to the barrel while pushing with a rod from the chamber end might do it. If you can send me a picture of two to
riceone@bellsouth.net

Riceone
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: barrel Reply with quote

Riceone Thanks for the input! Also be sure they didn't do anything to the receiver. There have been a few that in addition to plugging the barrel, and clipping the firing pin, had something done to the receiver under the wood. Trey
cwbrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receiver looks fine. The metal looks gray, sorry can't get a picture from down the barrel that shows it. It's soft as I was able to get a sharp probe into it by hand. I was thinking lead, but could well be solder. What would be a good heat source so as not to cause damage? The plug seems to be able 12" long so I'm going to be heating a pretty good length.

Thanks guys.

It's been referred to as an addiction. I can live with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: