Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scored a 1917 colt at work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Scored a 1917 colt at work Reply with quote

I guess while im in the sharing mood here is a pic of 1917 colt revolver and ammo I got from a fellow I work with. I have always wanted one of these, so to hear a guy ive worked with for years had one languishing at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket in his basement suprise. The colt is a springfield armory rebuild and the grips are obviously not original, so ill have to find a set. The ammunition lot was not what i was expecting, I didnt think it would be anything more than a couple old moldy boxes of 70s civilian made ammo. The ammo was all packed in an old cardboard box and i didnt even open it to look till I got home later. I got 7 full 50rnd boxes of WWII dated ammo or various makes, I part box of the same, I full 20rnd box of 1919 dated ammo, 1 GI 1911 mag full of .45 M1 tracer, a pile of loose GI rounds of various dates up to the 60s. The real treat was a full 24rnd box of FA18 on half moon clips. Its not all assembled in the pic as it took me some time to figure out what this was. This is suppose to be a rare box of ammo, I never new it existed till i did some research. This obviously isnt sealed, and the label is gone but I dig it nonetheless, a very cool accessory for a keeper pistol.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: pistol and ammo Reply with quote

Wow! That is pretty awesome! I'm sure my Dad is going to be envious! Thanks for sharing! Trey
oopy38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: 1917 Colt Reply with quote

Mike, This was a great find for you. I have a sealed box of the half moon clip loaded ammo and it is the only one I have ever seen. My box is dated 11-7-18 and made by the U.S. Cartridge Co., Lowell, Mass. I know you will enjoy this addition to your collection.
Mike Rockhill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im really thrilled with this gun, I finally got to shoot it today after the range finally thawed out. Its awesome! Its close to being right on, and fairly accurate with my about average pistolero skills, even in double action. My handloads even preformed well. Ill see about taking some close ups on some of the markings. Ive only found a few mentions of these early springfield rebuilds on the net.

To add a correction, the 24rnd box is REM-UMC 1918, not FA 18 as i said above. Got confused with all these different headstamps.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for your thumb Twisted Evil ,I think Ive got a beat up S&W in the pistol trunk,I always liked the 1917 ,in either pattern,real impressive beasts at the range. I dont need the clips with mine,but did with the ones I traded off, If I ever get in the gun room ,ILL dig thru and see,think its with my webley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Other Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: