Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTS: Type 45 rifle 6.5mm Mauser Mukden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Wanted, Buy, Sell, Trade!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1gewehr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: WTS: Type 45 rifle 6.5mm Mauser Mukden Reply with quote

Japanese Type 45 Mauser 6.5mm

When the Japanese took over Manchuria, they acquired the large Mukden arms factory as well. This factory had been making high-quality Mauser rifles for the Chinese Army, as well as other armaments. The Mausers made in Mukden were of a particular pattern that had some Japanese-style features like the two-piece stock, long bottom trigger guard tang, and egg-shaped bolt handle. Chinese Mausers were made in the standard 8mm Mauser caliber. After the Japanese took over Mukden, they began making Type 38 rifles in 6.5mm. Somewhere in the middle, they made a very small number of Mukden Mauser rifles in the Japanese 6.5mm caliber. It is unknown how many were made. I have seen one source which states that as many as 10,000 may have been produced, but there are certainly very few survivors. This is one of only four that I have heard about in the US.

This example shows the results of long WWII service. The buttplate is in poor condition with the heel and top screw hole missing. The two barrel band springs are obvious replacements. The bore is dark in the grooves. There is no cleaning rod. The bolt does not match the receiver number, but does headspace correctly. It is very lightly import-marked on the right side of the breech with a barely-visible N.A.Co. The address below that is illegible but should be Bergen, NJ as that is where Navy Arms was when I bought this rifle many years ago in a shipment of Chinese Mausers.

That's the bad news. The good news is that aside from the bolt, all other numbers match. Receiver, bolt release, both barrel bands, trigger guard, rear sight base, rear sight , rear sight slide, and magazine base-plate all match. The serial number is '631', and there are no other factory markings aside from the "Type 45" characters on the breech. The bolt part numbers all match, so the bolt was replaced entirely instead of piece by piece. All markings are clean. There is evidence of old rust and some pitting (besides the buttplate). What shows orange in the photos is not rust but old cosmoline. I've cleaned this rifle up a bit, but have not done a detailed strip and clean yet. The bore is dark in the grooves, but the rifling is strong. The bolt headspaces properly and the rifle can be safely fired. I fired two rounds, and found that the extractor seems slightly bent and doesn't do a good job of extraction.

I am willing to take additional photos of any feature that you like. I am not a professional photographer, but will do my best with my little Nikon pocket camera. I work long and varied hours, so I may take a day or so to reply. Your patience is appreciated. I use the same ID (1gewehr) on eBay, FALFiles, AR15.com, and several other boards, so feel free to check out my ratings.

Since the folks on this board identified the rifle for me in the first place and were so helpful, you guys get first shot at it. It will take $800 to pry this rifle away from me. That does include shipping within the continental US. For AK and HI, I'll have to check shipping prices as there will be an extra charge. I am a C&R and will need a C&R or FFL in order to ship outside of Tennessee. I am willing to meet for a FTF within 20 miles of 37122. The first person who sends me an email (aasnip@gNOTmail.com, remove the cap letters) with an unqualified "I'll take it", gets it. If nobody here speaks up, I'll start shopping it around on Wednesday 7/20 to other sites. The price will NOT be going down. This is a very rare rifle, and you may wait years before seeing another one for sale.

Last edited by 1gewehr on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Incidentally, mine (1969) is missing the extractor, and I haven't been able to find one, even off of another Type 45 that will fit properly.

Gents, this is a pretty rare bird, I guess I've seen 4 in 18 years. 2 on the internet (includes this one) and 2 up close and personal (I bought one of them). This one is different from mine, if I had some money you wouldn't be seeing it in this post. Its sort of like a Mukden 99, if you don't buy it when you see it, you may not get another chance.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Someone needs to scarf this up, its a very rare bird and it pretty nice shape considering its history....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Wanted, Buy, Sell, Trade! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: