Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about my first Arisaka rifle (Type 30)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Questions about my first Arisaka rifle (Type 30) Reply with quote

Last weekend I won a Type 30 rifle at an auction. (couldn't pass up the condition it's in). I was wondering if anyone has seen these markings on the stock before.

One side of the stock has a small plate with '7' on it:

The other side has '47' painted on it:

47 is also stamped on the receiver behind the bolt:

Might as well show off the rest of the rifle Smile

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

BBB welcome to the forum. Nice rifle! Those are likely rack numbers of some sort. Normally the mum is overstamped with the Tokyo Arsenal logo when pulled from service for non-active Japanese military use. Could you post some better photos of the two markings on the barrel above the mum (below the rear sight)? Be sure to fill out a Type 30 Datasheet for Frank Allan, he should be along to fill in some of the blanks. Thanks for posting! Trey
BBB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gwsiii! Here's a pic of the two markings:

Edit: added better pic of the side markings:

Also some markings on the side of the receiver. Outlined the right one due to the glare

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

The top mark in the first photo above is
Hai - - discard/trash is usually stamped on the receiver of rifles deemed no longer usable and decommissioned from active military service. I've seen it on Type 30s and Type 35s.

The second I can't figure out. For the record, I'm billingually illiterate, I can't read or write in two or more languages.....

These are final inspection stamps.
The first one I've seen, but can't really decide which one it is.

The second one (right) is
Hiko -

This information above from The Early Arisakas - by FC Allan, D. White, S. Zielinski

Frank had a death in the family, but should be along in a few days to comment.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: T-30 barrel step markings Reply with quote

Sorry I have been unavailable for a while.

The barrel step markings are 廃銃 (Hai-ju), "Discarded Weapon" a variation that is unusual but not unique. HAI indicates discard or scrap as Trey noted. Usually this appears alone, but we have encountered it with the weapon notation previously. Thanks to Edokko for the confirmation of the translation.

The weapon was undoubtedly assigned as a trainer. Very nice condition. Great find.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Final Inspection Marks Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the the final inspection marks are interesting. The first one to the right of the arsenal logo is a stylized depiction that I have not encountered previously. Very interesting.

The second mark is common. It is HIKO and is part of an as yet unidentified inspector's name at the Tokyo Arsenal.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
BBB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Frank and gwsii!

Did they convert rifles to trainers that fired live ammunition or only blanks? I ask because this one doesn't have a smooth bore and instead has good rifling shown here (it's not pitted/rough like the picture shows, that's due to the poor quality of the picture):

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

The ones converted to true trainers, have different markings on the receiver. Yours would have probably used normal ammunition. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: