Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Arisaka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontiaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Odd Arisaka Reply with quote

I'm not really familiar with Arisaka rifles/carbines but I've gone through a ton of images (google image search) trying to find one like this but I never seen anything with this configuration.

Note: bolt guts missing, stock missing.

The tang behind the trigger guard is long and wraps under the stocks grip. I couldn't really see the underside of every Arisaka but I'm pretty sure its unique.

The bolt handle is curved like the scoped version, however the 3digit serial number on it doesn't match the frame. Probably from another rifle?

The barrel is 17.25 inches long from the face of the receiver.

The sight is dovetailed in... Sporterized?

There is some sort of steel ring pounded on the end of the muzzle. Hard to describe.

Here are some pictures.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've got a sporterized Type 99 Short rifle barreled action with m/m bolt. The Arsenal is Kokura (right of serial number-stacked cannonballs) and the series mark (in a circle to the left of the serial number) looks to be 22nd series. You are correct that the barrel has been cut, the front sight added/dove tailed in and the bolt handle has been turned down. An original sniper bolt handle is a bit longer and the bend is noticeably different. It would have originally been in 7.7 Japanese caliber (7.7x58mm). Let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks for posting. Trey
Pontiaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sporterized... Darn it. People put a lot of effort in destroying history, granted they were worth nothing at one time.
Well whats it worth as parts? I'm going to put it on my table at the next gun show.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Hard to say, you might ask $50 and if someone offers anything, take it. They ask $15-$40 for bolt bodies, but I don't ever see any sell. There looks to be a screw or two, and a few other parts (rear sight). So probably $50 worth of parts retail. Let me know the series and serial number for survival records. Thanks, Trey
Pontiaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Series 22
SN: 73915
Arsenal: Kokura
Inspection Marks look like 3 pecked horizontal lines in two groups.

Plain bore

Rear sight collar: A (ramped)
Chamber Markings: A
Ground MUM

Floor Plate Release: A

Since its probably a different bolt I'll leave that info out.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: bolt Reply with quote

Appreciate it, on the off chance that someone needs that exact #, what is the number on the bolt? Thanks, Trey
Pontiaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt SN: 976
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: