Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock question to ponder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Stock question to ponder Reply with quote

A closet Arisaka collector I know picked up a nice Type-99 the other day and I have a question for the forum. Have posted photos for all to see the rifle, series and such but overall the loving owner many years ago sanded the stock and did what he thought was right to make a really nice rifle out of a war trophy. The new owner also received the original bring back papers (with raised seal and serial number to match the rifle) and small note book that the owner kept giving the dates and locations of where he was from 1943-1945 along with a when he got promoted and once when he got to meet up with his brother. Sorry, but I don’t have photos of the papers or book to share with you all. The condition of the metal is really nice with a full mum. Bolt is miss-matched but the condition and blue match the rest of the rifle. I’ll let the photos tell the rest of the story. I would like to find a replace rear band and screw to replace this one if I can find one at decent price. So my question is should the new owner leave the plug in the hole in the stock or remove it?

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I think I'd leave it, its already horked up, but its neat, and matches the rest of the stock. Is the mum double struck? I keep alternating between 16 and 17 petals...Really neat grouping!
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, it's a double struck mum to boot. I think he is leaning towards leaving it in place as well. We can bring up next show me make in your neck of the woods to for show and tell.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Bring it...Give us something to ponder...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: