Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front sight question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pasadena tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Front sight question Reply with quote

My series 27 type 38 shoots about 3 inches to the right at 100 yards. Can the front sight be adjusted or moved. It appears it can be drifted, but I didn't want to just start tapping it with a punch. The front sight base has two pins. Does the base have to be removed in order to adjust the sight blade? I did note that there appears to be reference lines on the sight base marking the edges of the blade, and they appear to be aligned, but three different loads I have shot are all shooting right. Thanks for any info on this.
DEFUC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blade CAN be drifted,but its not easy,usually a modified punch to match the base and something to rest the sight assembly on is needed. Some one claimed to have good luck moving them with a screw type drift,but Ive never found one to work for me. One of the machinest guys needs to design and sell a screw clamp with a drift wedge for adjusting them (he'd sell them fastern he could make em) .are they a nice tight group but to the right ,or spread out (greater than 2" or so) if they arent tight excessive trigger pull may be the issue rather than the sights, if they are a nice snug group, but all to the right then its the sights and they need adjusted. wheres it shoot out at 200-250 ? oh and make real sure your not accidently using the left sight ear for a post instead of the post (sounds dumb but Ive saw it done several times). your likely shooting considerable high at 100yds also
pasadena tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Info. The groups are about 4 in. at 100 yards. I normally shoot rifles with aperature sights and shoot Garand and Vintage high power matches. I was hoping to add this one to my vintage rifle group. I'll try again from a rest and pay particular attention to the sight picture. The day I shot the the type 38, I also shot a Mauser K-98 and that group was to the left slightly and they have similar sights. Like I said, I think the blade is in the proper place with the reference lines marked on it. I'm not sure if this was done by the armorers, or later on. And yes, they are high about 3 inches, which I expected. I didn't try any out to 200.
Thank you for the reply. I'll try some more groups before attempting any front sight adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: