Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwbrel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Which mark Reply with quote

Ok, now for a different question. This is a nice looking, ground 22 series. Missing rod, cover, and wings - just as it should be if stripped for metal. Not staked, but it's been a while since it was dissembled and the screws are in very good shape. The problem for me is that I can't identify this mark just after the arsenal mark.

The bolt matches, but not the the rifle, I had hoped that I'd find a matching assembly number under the stock, but no luck (no assembly number). Still I prefer to believe that the returning vet simply got the wrong bolt when getting off the ship (my own little delusion).

It's been referred to as an addiction. I can live with that.
cwbrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a second class circle or zero? I just saw the same thing on a bolt handle from a 6th series that I just got. If so, what's with the dot since both of these have the dot, I can't think it would be just a deep ding.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: dot Reply with quote

Curtis, Honeycutt lists the circle as a '1st quality' mark, however the punch mark muddies the water. Trey
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Stamps Reply with quote

I believe what we have here is a circle, punch mark, and two partially stamped 小 - KO marks, turned 90 degrees to the left as usual. The complication is the punch mark that hit the center of the circle. I think that this is just a random, rather than intended, location for that mark. What it means is difficult to understand. A simple punch mark was often used as an inspection mark, possibly when the normal tool was unavailable due to damage or whatever. It might have intdicated a repair done and the arsenal worker just wanted to make sure it was noted as having been completed or possibly approved after he did the work. Pure speculation of course, but it is what I think anyway.

The punch mark is often seen as a substitute inspection stamp. For instance, I am working on updating the Siamese Mauser booklet and I have noted that nearly all triggers on these rifles and carbines have a punch mark on one side and another more normal stamp on the opposite side.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
cwbrel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I found on a bolt yesterday from a 6th series.

Looks like the same thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: