Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two more for you guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleonardo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Two more for you guys Reply with quote

So here's two more for you guys. First is a type 38 that is extremely long. Probably some common thing that I don't know about but I figured I'd ask about it. Second is a type 97 sniper that has been cut but still has the mum. Wondering if this was done by a vet or possibly a late war pump em out production. Sorry but the photo post is still not working with any of my apple products. Notice on the sniper a bullet graze on fore grip.
http://photobucket.com/albums/jj632/petervleonardo
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: rifles Reply with quote

The Type 38s were pretty long, 50+ inches overall, as well as the 97 snipers. Your sniper has been sporterized, looks like the barrel has had a little 'trimmed' off as well. See the Type 38 Long Rifle, and Type 97 Sniper datasheets. I'll transfer the pictures over later. Don Schlickman has reproduction scope assembly and will install if you ask nicely and add a few $$$. More later. Trey

Last edited by gwsiii on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pleonardo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the receiver is good and intact is it worth rebarreling and finding a new stock. Or just leave it and find a scope? What do those scopes go for?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: sniper Reply with quote

It is worth rebarreling, restocking, adding scope and block. Scope will run between 1 and 2K...Its not quite as simple a restoration as it seems. Nagoya snipers didn't have a rear band spring, so the inlet on a donor stock will need to be filled in...
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Type 97 Reply with quote

Dear PLeonardo;

Thank you for posting these photos and info. Very interesting. We appreciate your data on the Type 97 sniper rifle particularly.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
riceone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

What did I miss? All I saw was a pictured of a training rifle and a regular T38 long rifle.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: T97 Reply with quote

Although hard to see one of the pictures of the receiver tops has "Type 97" stamped in the usual manner. It is easy to miss as you pass throught the T-38 and trainer pictures. It is about in the middle of the batch. The scope mounting block is gone which is why it is hard to pick up on.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

My bad, got tied up and forgot, getting worse and worse...Here are the pictures...Click on them to enlarge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: