Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Cal 30 99
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
type-14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: US Cal 30 99 Reply with quote

Recently was given (yes it was a gift) this Type-99 marked US Cal 30 and re-cambered in 30-06. As I know these have been faked over the years I guess that was my first thoughts about it. However, after checking it out a bit more I have the feeling that this one may not be one of the fake ones. Of course it is totally miss-matched and as you see in the photos the stock has been cut but that is the biggest bummer to me as I expect all of these to be miss-matched. The stock also looks like some of it was exposed to some fire at one time. A plus for this one is the hard to find grooved safety which is also miss-matched to the bolt as well. The receiver has been milled to accept the larger round as has the feed ramp. The magazine box has been enlarged as well to expect the 30-06 rounds. Of course making the magazine box larger you have to mill out the stock just a bit to get it fit and this has been done. Lastly, I loaded 5 round and cycled them though the action and they all feed, extracted and ejected with no problems. No dragging on the feed ramp at all and it ejected the round clear across the room. Next is a trip to range. Would like to find a decent stock to replace this one just to make it look like it should. Enjoy the photos.

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: US CAL 30 Reply with quote

Dear type-14:

Looks like you have a perfectly legit example. Many believe that there are only a few of these that reached the U.S. and all were Korean-used. However, several of us have restored examples that started out as barreled actions only. These may have been Nationalist Chinese-used as there is a Time photo of the conversions in process.

Yours has the correct magazine box spot welds. Mine I had to fabricate and I think others have done the same. I'll attach a couple of photos of mine. You can see that the location of the "US CAL 30" stamp and the font of the numbers and letters are exactly the same. Also, your inverted U-shaped cutout in the receiver face is exactly the same.

I think that Doss White still has for sale copies of the US manual on these conversions.

You have a good friend if he gave this to you at no charge!!!

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Stock replacement Reply with quote

Steve Schaefer (www.japanesearisakarifleparts.com) can probably get you a correct stock. He found mine. Send him your photos and the picture that illustrates the series and he can probably help.

Good luck with your project. Modifying the stock for the longer magazine box is easy. If I can do it anyone can!

Frank

(386) 445-4225
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: us cal 30 Reply with quote

Here are 2 more. The first was a $150 sporter, I added hardware and stock. Not a number matches, late 5th series.

The action was given to me, and while I have nothing to go on, other than it is ground, and has been polished and reblued. Is a larger font than the first and does not have dots. Early 5th series.

Both of these are more centrally notched at the receiver than the previous two. One has dots, the other doesn't. Two different size stamps.

Weren't some reported converted in Tokyo Arsenal, and then some later in Korea under U.S. auspices?
type-14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rifle in the top set of photos, appears to have the extended magazine box as that gap due to the extension and floor plates looks just about the same distance as mine.

Last edited by type-14 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: us cal 30 Reply with quote

it does have the extended mag box. same style attachment. I think its a good one. I wonder if these aren't a little more common than we thought. They only made 21k Type 2's, but they all seem to be over here...
type-14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I posted is the first one that I remember seeing unless Bobby has one and I didn't see it due to the forest. But they do seem to be out there in all different conditions.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: rifles Reply with quote

I don't think Bobby has one because they are post war, and the ones that match are a bit suspect. He doesn't normally fool with anything that doesn't match. You can't 'study' a mismatch, you don't know what's right and what's not..
type-14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to smile at your comment as I can see Bobby saying just that!!

Frank, Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I do want to take it to the range and see how it performs. When I get a complete stock for it I'll post photos of the finished product.

Dale
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: ooohh Reply with quote

Everyone bring your US Cal 30 to the shootout and we'll take them all apart at the same time, put everything in a box, and put them back together and see how many match when we're done! I kid, I kid...We could make that the object of one evenings scientific study though...
type-14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about finding out who all has examples and doing a display of them at one of the B'ham shows or at Roy's?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: rifles Reply with quote

That is something to consider. We certainly can discuss it and see what happens.
riceone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Converted Rifle Reply with quote

I have a U S CAL 30 and the bolt does not match on it either. Be glad to have the study over here but the Midnight studies at Bobby's are much more in dept. Smile
DEFUC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those late night stidy session are actually really good, and a good place for debating/examining Cal .30's...There have been some excellent past sessions, notably Shannon Z's excellent discourse on Jinsen production and evolution...and Mr Roys enlightening practical examination ,midday of the strenth of the arisaka action even in extreme conditions. Fellowship and research are what amke this hobby so great.
type-14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the proper sling for these rifles. The original Japanese slings or where they issued with U.S. type slings? Such as the 1907 leather sling or the WWII leather or web adjustable sling?

Article has been submitted to the Banzai newsletter on this one now that I have returned her to the proper configuration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: