Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US CAL .30 Type 99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: US CAL .30 Type 99 Reply with quote

I saw a thread from this board when I was researching this gun. I hear they are uncomon. This one has an M1 sling and a GI adaptor on the bayonet scabbard. This is the only one I have seen in over 40 years of collecting but I have only been into the Japanese weapons for about ten years. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
[url=http://postimg.org/image/mq7dc538z/][img]http://s5.postimg.org/mq7dc538z/078.jpg[/img][/url]
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: image Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and Nice looking rifle! Please fill out a Type 99 Datasheet and email me along with pictures of the markings: top and side of receiver and any others that you have time for. We didn't get to study these at the shootout. I got sidetracked (as usual) with a couple other things. These are neat guns. Seems like there are more around than there ought to be, but that is another tale all in itself.
Edward

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: US CAL .30 Type 99 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. There are people out there that will tell you they are all"Fakes" and I'm sure there are a few. It just seems like an awful lot of work to produce some thing like that for little or no gain. Just the "Rumor" of counterfits kills the market. After researching them a bit, I believe that there are lot that were sporterized and later scrapped. I also feel like there are probably some "Restorations" as well. Since these guns were originaly created at a "Depot" level by various individuals at many different locations according to a "T-M" that was published for that purpose, they remain vague to say the least. They must have been very desireable to the home bound troops considering the Amunition available.
Here are a few more PIC's

gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: rifles Reply with quote

They are unique. According to Mr. Honeycutt, most of production was destroyed, but there seem to be quite a few that have survived. In my opinion anything with a full mum, matching, or modern 'green' parkerizing would be highly suspect. The ones that I've seen that I thought were good were all ground, mismatches, with a flat matte type finish. Markings varied, most were non-chrome bores. We did not play 'us cal 30' at the last shootout, but we likely will next one. Thanks for posting. Trey
Edward

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: US CAL .30 Type 99 Reply with quote

This one fits that Honeycutt profile. It is a mis-matched, Mum-ground, hodge-podge of parts. The finish is that dark black as mentioned. The wood is crunchy fresh un-sanded and un-cut. The mag box is properly modified as well. What could one of these be worth that some one would go to all that trouble to counterfeit it. All other pictures that I have seen have been of guns with cut or "sporterized" stocks. This one is near perfect. How rare is that? Well, right now on e-bay there is a Type 1 experimental bayonet that the seller thought was some obscure "Trench Knife". It looks like the "Real Deal" to me and it has already gone from $23.50 to $350. in a few days. Go figure.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: trench knife Reply with quote

Mr. White has gotten $750 or more for some of the ones (US CAL 30) he's had. The special purpose Knife is a pricey item. Most recent that I'm aware of, went for $1500 and it was minty.
Edward

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: US CAL .30 Type 99 Reply with quote

Wow! I knew that little knife was worth a bundle, but I did not think the Type 99 .30 would bring that much. I still intend to shoot it so that I can speak to the rumors of inacuracy. I guess that "degree of dificulty" does indeed dictate value. I have several other misbegotten 99's that I realy shold look into. I will try to get my "home-work" (the survey) done A.S.A.P. Thanks again for your in put.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

No problem, as you get a chance, please fill out a datasheet on your rifles and send to us.
type-14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When shooting one of these old conversions the shooter needs to remember that the U.S. .30 Caliber M2 ball ammunition is different from 30-36 ammunition. They are close, but not exactly the same thing. Using "Hatcher's Notebook", by Julian S Hatcher, Major General, U.S. Army, retired, The Telegraph Press, 1947 as a reference it should be noted that the Caliber .30 M2 ball ammunition produced a muzzle velocity of 2740 +/- 30 Feet Per Second (FPS). Much of today’s modern 30-06 ammunition can produced muzzle velocities as high as 2900fps, so caution must be taken when shooting these rifles so as to not shoot ammunition that produces these higher pressures. I found some new Hornady 30-06 M1 Garand (Match) ammunition that produces a muzzle velocity of 2700fps which is as close to the original .30 M2 ball that I could find with off the self ammunition. It really shot good and no key holing or tumbling at all and no splits in the cases. Just a bit high and to the left but then that could have been the shooter.
Edward

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: US .30 cal type 99 Reply with quote

I have some realy good "cast lead" range ammo. When that runs out I'll go for some of that Hornady Match Grade. Thanks for the in-put. I'll post after I shoot.
ronin48

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING - There is a "gentleman" in the Knoxville or Chattanooga,TN area that is faking these. It's not a big deal if you are or know a machinist, lengthen the receiver bottom,stock opening and mag box, notch the receiver, then stamP "U S Cal 30". A $200 rifle is now a $600 rifle. He's about 5'6" - 5' 8", around 140-150 pounds, thin,, "buzzard-like" face. The scum bag has been selling his creations, primarily at the Tulsa, OK show, for years.

He knows I'm on to hi, I've been warning folks abound his fakes for years, and at the Show of Shows last year he gave me this BS story how his company, in the automobile brake business, sent him to Korea about a parts problem. He and his Korean counter part became friends and the faker told the Korean he collected military rifles. The Korean showed him a warehouse with crates of Japanese rifles.

After the faker returned home the shipping dept called and said there were several crates addressed to him in the newly arrived crates of brake parts. The crates addressed to him were filled with "Korean Conversions." He knew if he sold them all at once it would drive the price down so he's been selling two three a show forever. I'm sure the BATF would like to know about the "crates of rifles from Korea" if the story was true.

The guy has also faked Japanese snipers, but the snipers look nothing like the true thing, he's used any scope he could lay his hands on He's stamped mums on bayonets and Type 14s. If you want to know what he looks like look under "scum bag" in the dictionary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: