Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unusual type 44 calvary carbine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapishka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 calvary carbine Reply with quote

Hello fellow Japanese rifle lovers ,new member here with a unusual type 44
calvary carbine .This carbine is quite different in that it clearly has a type 38 calvary carbine stock , type 38 cup buttplate .also unusual is the color of the metal ,appears to me to cadmium plating ,or CAD plated .the bayonet finish is clearly worn from use as is all the metal ,not new or shiny ,the front site block is solid with no windows ,anyway try to add pictures or will email to Trey to post for me ,great to be here with you all . Hope you guys can help with the mystery of this carbine ,have not seen one like this ,only one other original type 38 calvary carbine with same stock and butt plate .

sapishka

gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: neat Reply with quote

That is pretty neat. It's a Type 44 carbine, fitted to a Type 99 stock and hardware. The rear band is type 99, and the rear swivel on the stock is probably the original Type 44/38 swivel. The front sight guards have been knocked or ground off, you can see the remnants in the corners of the base. Seems like Type-14 had one of these that wasn't refinished and we decided there was a chance it might be a chi-com conversion if caliber were changed, but likely could just as easily have been a bubba-over-here too. It was an early Type 44 carbine at one time. Let's see what Frank has to say. Thanks for posting! Trey

You'll need to update your email address to receive notifications. They just keep bouncing saying your email acct at gmail that you registered under does not exist.
sapishka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

Well thank you for the info. I knew it had some changes ,and figured it was a type 99 buttplate . The handguard and bayonet setup all fit perfect , and it certainly does not look halp hazard in excecution of assembly of the components .On one Japenese rifle webpage , they had a type 38 carbine with same exact type buttplate . The data sheet I have for type 38s show there are 3 buttplates : flat and 2 cup types . seems someone went to a lot of trouble to take a 99 stock and build it into a 44 stock .Im thinking they used just the stock ,and used the rest of the original parts .a lot of time sight ears are distracting , they were ground off to give better focus on the target ,happens on other milsurp rifles ,I have seen this a few times on other rifles .what do you think about this color of the metal ,and the wear on the bayonet tip ,definatly not an unused rifle ,bore is not great .
thank a bunch

sapishka
sapishka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

Well I do see now this carbine definitely is on a 99 stock as pointed out by Trey ,As a newcomer I learned something valuable right away on this one.
I see the rear band does not fit correctly to the stock either ,I wonder what lies under the bayonet assembly ,if the rest of the stock is done correctly there too ,have to wait until next week to get it apart to get more info ,but it really doesn't matter too much ,need to locate the correct stock for this would be the right course of action ,If there was a way to confirm the how or why it was converted it would be great to find out . it has not been restored to new condition ,that we can see ,anyway ,hope to learn more from anyone that has more information ,especially as to the coloring of the metal parts .

sapishka
david cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some nice work.
who ever did it knew wood work.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Bubba or China? Reply with quote

I wonder who did the work? I guess that we will never know. Interesting and thanks fro posting.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
sapishka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

I an trying to find out more information ,this came in from an elderly ladies estate here in Santa Barbara CA . I cannot find out more just yet ,maybe more information can be dug up from there ,we likely will not know . Where I go with it from here is my next decision .Im more interested in the metal color ,the barrel and receiver are blued ,while the rest is another color altogether that I have never encountered ,and that finish is certainly worn as well. Never seen one like it so far .

sapishka
sapishka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: unusal type 44 Reply with quote

I FINALLY RECEIVED THE TYPE 44 AND GOT IT APART ,THIS CARBINE HAS A 6 GROOVE BARREL ,MATCHING BAYONET AND RECEIVER NUMBERS ,THE STOCK LOOKS HOME GROWN ,BUT A GOOD JOB ON IT ,METAL IN HAND IS WORN FROM USE ,NOTHING DONE RECENT AT ALL .THE BORE HAS SEEN BATTLE THATS FOR SURE .I HAVE A NEW 4 GROOVE BARREL I THOUGHT ABOUT USING BUT I NEED ABIT OF HELP WITH IT. THE FRONT SIGHT IS 2 3/8" FROM THE MUZZLE ,THE BAYONET DOES NOT FIT PAST THE WIDE SIGHT EARS ,IT IS THE EXACT SAME OVERALL LENGTH AS THE TYPE 44 BARREL .IM WONDERING IF IT IS A type 38 CALVARY CARBINE BARREL
NOT A 44 ,TYPE 44 FRONT SIGHT IS IN A DIFFERENT SPOT, SO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND THE SIGHT BASE IS NARROWER AS WELL .ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED .

SAPISHKA
sapishka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: UNUSAL TYPE 44 Reply with quote

Can the front sights be removed ? I wanted to try to replace my ruined front sight if I can locate the right one on the 6 groove barrel,the new barrel has a single spline on the underside ,the type 44 does not have any indexing spline ,any thought s gentlemen ?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: barrel Reply with quote

I think they are pinned on like all the others, you can remove them. I think it is right to left, but I'm not sure. I've never removed a front sight completely. Riceone would be the one to ask.
sapishka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the front sight info ,I found a post riceone had put up onanother board concerning the front sight removal ,so Im set .
sapishka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: type 44 metal Reply with quote

I have examined the metal parts on this new acquisition type 44/99 ,the underside of the dust cover ,butt plate and the other metal color items including the bayonet all have years of wear and corrosion patina ,normal type associated with use ,so the underside of the dustcover is patina too. splotchy black underneath the cad color on the underside of the butt plate as well . the finish is old and looks very well exposed to the elements over a long period of time. I have asked the question on the color and no one has any answer ,so its a mystery for now . Thought I would post this most interesting coloring information I have found at this point of discovery . The outside of the buttplate has been stripped of the finish by someone at some point though ,it is clean metal .

sapishka
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I think the blue was stripped off post war, most likely someone over here, but, possibly china/vietnam. Even the rifles I have imported from China have more finish on the metal. Most likely scenario is rifle came over here, stock got broken, someone put a Type 99 Stock and hardware on it and stripped the finish off the metal in preparation of reblueing and lost interest after the stock work. But, we'll never know for sure. I don't believe the finish on the wood, and metal is original. I have a rifle that had cold blue on it, I dipped a few parts in vinegar and ended up with pieces about the same color as the stock hardware.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: looking Reply with quote

After looking at it again, I think the finish got stripped off a long time ago, maybe glass beaded, sand blasted, or dipped. If it had been plated, I'd think the markings would have suffered. Metal doesn't appear to have been buffed or prepped for anything, just stripped. I don't think the early 44s had the key and slot for barrel and housing. I've seen a few 1st variation housing with the stock broken inside the housing, this was probably pretty common as only the wood, kept the housing from shifting at that time.
sapishka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

Interesting information on the finish ,thank you for that ,the vinegar dipping is interesting for sure .thank you for the ideas on the history of this carbine ,I really appreciate ,I would concur with your findings at this point .
I figure the original stock was broken ,I also think the finish is odd on the 99 stock .I will look for a 44 stock in my travels ,I'm always on the hunt at gun shows and stuff so who knows what may show up .I'm willing to part with some cash for one if needs be ,and a good one

Sapishka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: