Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unusual type 44 calvary carbine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

It is mainly having the money and making the decision as soon as you see it. Knowing the variations, finishes, components and how they match is important. If you haven't already, you should buy two books. Fred Honeycutt's Military Rifles of Japan, and The Type 38 Arisaka
A Study Of The Japanese Rifles And Carbines Based Upon The Type 38 Arisaka Action, Their Variations and History By Francis C. Allan and Harold W. "Ogesan" Macy. Spending $125 on reference now, will pay huge dividends in the end.
If you find one online, send me a link I'll tell you what I think...
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

This is a nice one, metal looks cleaned on the receiver, and hook is missing, but rest of it looks ok. But, it is hard to buy a good gun off the internet...Pictures seldom tell the whole story.
sapishka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

Now this IS the one I should be buying right there ,what a nice rifle ,looks very good ,price seems low right now , pretty cool calvary carbine ,I will buy the books ,I love the research and the history as much as the firearm ..almost .

thanks

sapishka
sapishka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

I figured for the heck of it ,I would add some close ups of the individual parts for seeing the underside of the finish and the reciver wear this type 44 has worn the dust cover forever ,note the wear marks from cycling th bolt ,this little rifle has some serious wartime use on it

sapishka

sapishka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

Here are a few more and a better receiver picture .

sapishka

sapishka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: unusual type 44 Reply with quote

Hey type 44 fans ,I just stumbled across a type 38 school rifle on Guns International for sale #100360927 .SO... it is nickel plated and has a worn bore with worn finish overall IE: bolt handle etc ,not nearly as worn as my type 44 is ,but it looks just like it ,same exact color varnished reddish stock and same plating .I see there is discussion in Honeycutts book 2nd edition page 174 on whether or not nickel plating was done or not . So it does seem there are at least 2 Japanese rifles here that are the same in that they both are nickel plated and have the same reddish colored varnish stocks .I had thought cadmium plated ,but it just is not yellow ,nickel is the right plating .A great discovery ,and I believe this adds pretty good evidence that the rifle is probably original due to the finish wear and tear and the bore condition , type 99 stock may be correct .

sapishka
sapishka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: unusal type 44 Reply with quote

I found quite a lot of cosmoline in the bolt on my type 44 , the thing is clogged with it as well as is the safety . I'll soak it first ,then disassemble it to clean it up ,or maybe do nothing and leave it original condition as it is right now ,must have been stored in some arsenal somewhere to be sealed up with cosmo like it is .The serial numbers are "assembly marked" ,with the Japanese symbol before the 3 numbers ,so the bolt and the parts are original to the carbine , the extractor and so forth al have the assembly numbers on them .Pretty interesting rifle . If nayone has anything to add ,please do ,I'm always interested in knowledge ,getting some books now on these ,Honeycutt is one of them .

sapishka
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: nickel plating Reply with quote

I think the nickel plating discussion was dropped in later editions of MRoJ. I don't believe the Japanese nickel plated rifles or pistols during the war. A postwar gunshop in Japan might have if they had the equipment, but its still unlikely. One crudely sporterized a Type 5 Garand Copy and I think they are likely to blame for the shiny black painted sporters, but again, that is a big if, and post war. Just my 2% of that dollar though.
sapishka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: unusal type 44 Reply with quote

I appreciate you info ,but to find another rifle ,same stock color and the same dull worn nickel is too coincidental .It is not like the nickel is bright like nice nickel plating in the U S A is on say, a S&W revolver . I went over to Joe Salters web page and saw all his picture of the rifle ,exactly the same worn pitted nickel plating as my carbine . In any event ,the experts can say the Japanese did not do it ,so someone then plated over 2 Japanese rifles ,varnished both stocks the same red color ,note that these 2 rifles have worn bores and are pitted under the nickel ,not pre polished and prepped to a high polish ,something I believe would be unlikely to see a Plating shop that does firearms perform ,however as we do know with military arms ,such as refinished M1 GARANDS ,they do indeed refinish pitted parts at the arsenal ,with no attempt to polish the metal . How would one explain these 2 examples of the exact same stock varnish and plating and wear and condition ,unless someone did both ,and I have one and Joe Salter has the other ...

sapishka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: