Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7.7 semi-rim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: 7.7 semi-rim Reply with quote

i was just told about some ww11 Japanese ammo i currently have listed on ebay may be explosive in nature. the semi-rimmed 7.7 has a blunt nose and purple sealant around the bullet. i'm told these rounds were intended for anti-aircraft use and explode on impact. is this accurate? i need to know. thanks, randy

RBURL393@ADELPHIA.NET
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: 7.7 ammo? Reply with quote

Randy, what is auction#? Trey
randy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: 7.7jap semi-rim Reply with quote

trey, ebay auction # 2259305769
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Ammo Reply with quote

The ribbed charger/stripper clip is swede I think, I know it's not Japanese. I'll check my reference stuff tonight and get back to you in the morning, if someone a little more learned than I doesn't reply before then. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: ammo Reply with quote

From what I can tell from the auction pictures and Ken Elks' fine book Japanese Ammunition 1880-1945, the 6.5 with 'pink casemouth seal' is '6.5 Ball Modified', the semi-rimmed flat tipped 7.7 with purple seal at the base of the bullet is 'Explosive' for the Type 89 and 92 MGs. A magenta casemouth seal would indicate incendiary, and a black seal would indicate armor piercing. The normal rimless 7.7 with what looks to be pink casemouth seal is ordinary Ball ammo. Maybe someone else can confirm or enlighten us further. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: