Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 14 Nambu - .22 Long Rifle Conversion Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Type 14 Nambu - .22 Long Rifle Conversion Kit Reply with quote

At the Blevins shoot, I got to play around with a Lothar Walther .22 LR conversion kit for a Japanese Type 14 Nambu.
The kit includes a threaded barrel liner, barrel muzzle bushing, knurled assembly nut for keeping the barrel liner in place, a ramrod, a cleaning brush, and 3 (we now know) varying-in-length center fire to rim fire-conversion firing blocks.

As the instructions were in German: YeKindleyOldeEditor enlisted the aid of the resident CrashTestDummy to assemble and fire said mechanism. Assembly was pretty straight forward, with the Type 14 barrel assembly removed from the frame, insert barrel liner in to the existing chamber, align the flat of the barrel liner with the ejector and slide in to place, add the barrel bushing at the muzzle, and thread on the knurled assembly nut and the pistol is ready for reassembly. Once assembled (with the same dextrous level of skill necessary to break down a Type 94 Nambu pistol), its just a matter of inserting the .22 LR bullet and seating it down the chamber of the barrel liner, and following it with the proper firing block.

CTD's (CrashTestDummy's) first few attempts to fire, after trotting gleefully down to the firing line: cock-click, cock-click, cock-click, 'damn!' were met with failure.

Replacing the springs (main and firing pin) with new Wolff springs and running back to the firing line, met with the same response: cock-click, cock-click, cock-click, 'damn!'

After removing the aforementioned kit and offering the owner $25 American for his broken kit, CTD noticed that the 2 spare blocks the owner had been bragging about, were indeed different from the first. In varying degrees they were longer than the first. "Aha" went Mr. Eistein as he quickly reassembled the kit and trotted down to the firing line. Cock-click, cock-click, cock-click, carefully replace with last, longest firing block....Cock-Bang!, manual eject, add another shell, replace long firing block, after dropping it twice in excited anticipation, Cock-Bang! "Yeah!"

With a little practice, this could be a really fun thing to have. Dibs!

Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Very neat Reply with quote

When was this thing made?

Frank

(386) 445-4225
oopy38

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I once had an Erma (German) conversion kit for Luger pistols. It was adaptable to 4 or 8 inch barrels and had a 10 shot (I think) magazine and operated as a semi-auto. It was very similar to this kit for the Nambu.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: kit Reply with quote

It would have to have been made before "Mr. Gorbachev, tore down that wall" as it is marked West Germany.
oopy38

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Erma Kit Reply with quote

Mine was made before WWII.
ronin48

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had one, just the barrel liner probably home-made, for a 94, don't think it screwed onto the muzzle like the 14. The chamber "bulge" held it from sliding forward. I passed it along to Azgunso thinking he might find time to make a firing pin, now its "Where's my hammer?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: