Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need info on type 38 short

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigddaddye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: need info on type 38 short Reply with quote

Hello Im new here
I got my grandfather rifle he had sent home after WWII I believe it's a type 38 short but can't find good info on it. It is 44.25 long. My question is. Is it rare? what's the value if I need to insure it. How do I maintain it to keep it history?
bigddaddye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://postimage.org/image/5b1l5clk5/
http://postimage.org/image/lng88tp9h/
http://postimage.org/image/3lx3b0v8l/
http://postimage.org/image/z6x2ej38l/
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

Nice rifle and with family history too! The original short rifles (made in the Japanese Arsenal system) vs post war short rifles (made in Chinese? arsenals post war) are uncommon, and in similar condition generally worth a few hundred $ more than a standard type 38. Care is as with any firearm, light cleaning, and standard preventive maintenance. Nothing stronger than 0000 steel wool, or brass or nickel wool on the metal with light oil to remove rust, rinse with wd40 and a soft cloth, and then reapply a light coat of oil with an oily rag. Generally just wipe the stock off with a soft cloth, some use furniture polish, I spray some wd40 on a soft cloth and wipe the stock down with it. It looks like the stock may have been refinished at some point so that detracts, but otherwise looks just fine. Frank will be along directly to fill in the blanks, be sure to fill out a Type 38 datasheet for him. Basically the Japanese reworked Tokyo Type 38 Long Rifles in to a Short Rifle Configuration at Chigusa Factory of Nagoya Arsenal in the 1930s. Most are in brand new condition and with ground mum, indicating that they were likely in storage at the end of the war and souvenired out while mums were still being ground on souvenirs. Capture papers and any accessories will add to the value, as well as sentimental value associated with it. If you have anything else that came with it, be sure to take pictures and post. That will help with determining the overall value. Thanks for posting!
bigddaddye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I thought the stock looked dull but I just thought it was from seating in the military mail my grandfather sent it home in since he passed away 30 years ago. I will ask my grandmother if she has papers. I will post pic of the bag tonight.

What are the data sheets for
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: sheets Reply with quote

For survival numbers and informational purposes. By collecting the datasheets we can identify what rifles should have what features by serial range, how they are marked, numbered and such. Generally if you can give us a series and serial number, and arsenal - we can tell what 'parts' (accessories-dust cover, cleaning rod, finish, safety, front sight guards) a rifle should have, and how they should be finished, and marked. Frank has written a book on the Type 38 and family of 6.5 Japanese rifles. Incidentally, your rifle would be in 6.5x50 Japanese Caliber if it is unmodified since it came over. The Type 38 is a model of 1905, that was in production until sometime in the 40s.
bigddaddye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thank you I will get that filled out for you asap
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Cavalry Rifle Reply with quote

Not much I can add to what has already been said. VERY nice rifle and they are getting very scarce. I love family history. Be sure to write that down and have the text notarized for your records for future generations.

These are interesting rifles. We do not know how many were made as they were not re-serialed during the overhaul/re-manufacture process. My GUESS is about 100,000 were re-configured in this way.

Thanks for sharing your photos. If we can answer any specific questions please let us know.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
bigddaddye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are strawed parts? What buttplate would this be? And I have two small stamps

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: strawed parts Reply with quote

Strawed parts are honey yellow colored, on bolt release spring, rear sight leaf spring, trigger, and lower screws (underside of stock holding trigger guard assembly to receiver). I think these (short rifles) were all blued. Buttplate is type A. Small stamps are H (unknown), and V (na). I like the bag! Very nice!
bigddaddye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: