Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"THE TRUE FACTS OF THE LEYTE OPERATION"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronin48

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: "THE TRUE FACTS OF THE LEYTE OPERATION" Reply with quote

by Major General Yoshihara Tomochika Consisting of Notes on the Mindanao and Leyte Campaigns Translated by 166thLanguage Detachment, etc, etc, etc 5 November 1946.,

This document has been in the files for years and was serialized in Banzai several years ago. It's over a hundred pages. It will sell for about $25. We need to know who would be interested in a copy. The front will be laminated and the back will list all Banzai publications.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: book Reply with quote

pencil me in for one...
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Yamashita Reply with quote

Dear Ronin48:

I have a set of official photos of his surrender. If you want I can scan them in and you can add them into the booklet. Some of them have been around before but not all. It might make it more appealing to the membership. Just let me know.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
M1dennis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,new member here. I noticed this subject and just wanted to say my father was in the battle of Leyte.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: leyte Reply with quote

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Sounds neat, got any pictures or stories?
M1dennis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some stories . Sometimes when I was little he would have a few beers and tell war stories. I wish I would have paid more attention. he's been gone over 20 years and most of his stories he told me over 40 years ago so details are getting foggy.
He did not like the M1 carbine. Once they were in the jungle and a Japanese ran out with his sword and an officer shot a few rounds into him with the carbine which didn't stop him and was then almost cut in half by the sword. One of the other guys then shot the Japanese in the head with his Garand which took his head off almost. He said their regular rifle was the only one he ever would trust after that.
I used to wonder about his stories till just recently when I watched the series Pacific . Everyone of his stories was in that series pretty much.
He did Amphibious landings. Best part of becoming a SSGT was being the last one off the boat. He was there when Gen MacArther did the I shall return pictures and he saved the flag off his landing craft which I have. He was in one of the boats used in the pictures. He said it was all staged and when it was done the brought MacArther a chair and new socks and shoes to change into.
Here are a few pictures and the shoulder patch from his uniform. I have his uniform and medals and ribbons if interested I can take pictures of them.

M1dennis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more stories if interested. I found this site because I recently got a Arisaka type 44 but always felt guilty about wanting one because he was pretty much against the Japanese and said now they want you to like them after killing them for all that time. He never really got over it I think.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: stories are great Reply with quote

That's great! Please share more. My Grandad was s/sgt and issued a thompson, within minutes of their first landing under fire, he 'lost' it, and carried a garand the rest of the war. He didn't care for the carbine or the thompson. I like 44 carbines, they are my favorites! Lot's of variations in parts, finish, markings. You'd think you only need 3, but there is a bit more variation than just the housings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: