Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMCA Show Sights - April 2015 (pictures)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: TMCA Show Sights - April 2015 (pictures) Reply with quote

Just got back from from The Tennessee Military Collectors Show in Franklin TN. Some neat stuff there. I displayed Japanese pistols. Picked up a couple neat things, saw some neat things, chatted with some neat people, and some not so neat people. Saw MarkSteve, KyPowerSteve, MushIslandKid, BigPaul, Mr. and Mrs. Ronin48, Japbayoman, Jiggles, and the Twins, Oopy38, The UnknownHumans and others just to name a few. Some very nice displays and some very nice stuff. My display was apparently not up to snuff, so I didn't win an award but had lots of nice comments from patrons as consolation, and that's as good or better than an official reward most times. Let's play a game, you identify what I saw from the pictures. I'll mention what isn't pictured. Hoten w3 (50th) series 38 long rifle, several matching/mummed 99s, some really nice 38s, a 38 fitted to an o3 Springfield stock and barrel?, few paratroopers (vastly overpriced) some very nice Nambus, a sniper or two, a very nice 97 scope and case, forgot to record number in the excitement and lots of other neat stuff. There were a couple of rifles there that had been monkeyed with and I pointed those out when asked. I don't usually volunteer my opinion unless I know you, or you ask, I try to be fair and explain why I think what I think. I'm not infallible, but I have a decent eye, and a fair memory, of sorts. The same 'frankentrooper' that I saw at AGCA changed hands twice, crazy, cause it was a piece of poo made up of at least 3 guns...

Here are some photos as a teaser...

Some display photos see if you can spot the 'new' stuff...3 things, non weapons...

If you aren't getting out to shows, you just don't know what you are missing. The Ronin48s furnish some of the finest snack food and sandwiches this side of the Arctic Circle. I had 3 people bring things specifically to me, and the Ronin48s had stuff brought specifically to them. We laughed, and teased, and talked serious bit, all in the name of collecting. We remembered those long gone, the past, the present, and the stories of our travels. You can't pay for this type of experience. I'm not sure what else to say other than, keep on keeping on, there is good stuff out there! Oh, and as KyPowerSteve pointed out, 'There's a sucker born every minute'...

gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: forgot Reply with quote

Forgot there was a 99k 28th series type 38, in a 90k artillery spotter stock, a few Hoten 38 carbines as well, a beautiful 1st series 99 short, but after close inspection, had been monkeyed with, remember stocks can be swapped leaving 1 screw still staked...Restorations have gotten good, there was a totally refinished 38 carbine that I almost made an offer on, something told me to look at it closer (light is horrible in there), it had been completely refinished, metal and wood, and stock restamped...You young guys are going to have to be on your P&Qs nowadays..
seinen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey - what's up with the Type 30 with the "A" serial number prefix?

C/
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: 30 Reply with quote

We absolutely don't know. Stay tuned to an upcoming issue of Banzai for any 'breaking news'. It's in a collection, not mine, but I should be able to get some more pictures. It had tangs, sight had 20 in the middle, and normal floor plate release...I think from the picture you can tell the mum was cancelled before it was ground. Wish it were mine...Here are all the other pictures I took. I'll see about some more if I can get away...

gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: show Reply with quote

Holy Cow, forgot about UBEMechanic, SwordJim, FujiCop, BigTim, how did that happen? Hope to see a bunch of them at the Blevins Shoot in May...Ya'll come on down!
ronin48

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30, "no doubt," was made at the same arsenal that later made the "letter series" Type "I" s. As what's-his-name, the cartoon character used to say, "That's a joke son." The "A" is mentioned in Frank's "The Early Arisakas", but don't think it applies this way. Trey, you can have the rifle, no charge, I keep the bolt I put in it.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

I thank you! You sir, are a scholar, and a gentleman, contrary to what Mrs. Ronin48 says under her breath...I understand her frustration with you, but what did your horse ever do to her?

Sure was quiet around here talking to myself, had to get you back online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: