Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

38 Short Rifle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazyhorse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: 38 Short Rifle Reply with quote

I have a T38 that the barrel was cut off behind the front site,and the stock was rounded at the bayo band area.Other then that,it is a decent rifle worth saving.

I've seen reference to cutting back barrel and stock to T38 Short Rifle size,and that could be doable with this gun.Finding the sight and bayo band and spring parts is easy.I even found a 25" barrel with the step already cut on ebay,but the bidding is over $60 already.It appears to be an original short rifle barrel.

I thought about going for it,but I can have my barrel cut to those specs on a lathe easily.My concern is modifying this stock.

The stock gets slightly wider and taller as it gets closer to the rear band,and would seem that cutting it back would make the wood much prouder than the bayo band.Pics I've seen show a nice transition at that joint,but I can't see that happening without slimming down the stock.

I could experiment with this,but it is the only stock I have.What I am looking for is advice as to how to proceed.Anyone who has done this care to help?
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Sporterized Type 38 Reply with quote

The modifications you mentioned are typical immediate postwar conversions of bring back rifles to turn them into economy hunting rifles. As I think you have figured out, the biggest problem is the barrel cut behind the front sight and, of course, the chopped down stock.

You have to decide how much you want to spend to restore it. It very well might be cheaper to find another example in better condition. However, if it is one of the more rare examples, or you have an emotional attachment (relative bring back for example), you will need to replace the barrel, stock, front sight, front band and its related parts.

The best parts guy is Steve Schaefer in St. Augustine, FL. Go the following website: JapaneseMilitaryFirearmsParts.com or send an e-mail to him at the following: Stschaefer@bellsouth.net

Good luck with your project.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Crazyhorse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have found the sight,bayo band,end cap,and parts to hold the band on.

Cutting the barrel back to the length and profile of the 25" short rifle is not a problem.I have measured the stock,and I have just enough length to actually make this work without buying another.

My only concern is trimming and inletting this stock to fit the bayo band.If I move the band to the short rifle stock position,it seems to be that the stock is slightly wider and taller,and if I fit it at that location,the wood is not a nice transition to the band like I've seen in photos.I see why they cut that relief into the barrel a few inches from the sight to help fit the bayo band better,but that still leaves a lot of wood proud of the band.

I could profile the outside of the stock to make it a better looking fit,but that would ruin the original finish on that part of the stock.I'm trying to make this work without refinishing the entire stock.

It's been written that they either reworked existing stocks to short rifle size,or used new ones.I've also read that some have been successful at modifying the long rifle stock to the short size,but very few details to how they actually did it.

I tried to contact someone on another board that claimed to have done this in the past with good results,but nothing yet.

Like I said earlier,I could experiment with this stock,but it's the only one I have,and good used replacements cost more then I have into this entire rifle.If I had a better idea of how to proceed with this project,I would not be so reluctant to start cutting away.

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: