Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 97 Arisaka markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cannon1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Type 97 Arisaka markings Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a particular Arisaka rifle but I'm confused by its markings. The woodwork is Type 38 (no sniper scope fittings) but the receiver says Type 97 (and the bolt in Type 38 I think). Also Type 97 is written across the receiver like a Type 99 marking. The character for 'Type' is before the 9 and 7 rather than after. All the pictures I have seen online seem to show the Type, 9 and 7 oriented with the length of the rifle not across. Are the markings correct and is it odd to find a Type 97 receiver with normal Type 38 wood and bolt? Thanks
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: markings Reply with quote

That's a Type 38 8mm Chinese conversion, the markings are basically saying (right to left ) 7 9 mouth diameter, or basically 8mm (8mm ammunition). I like the extra characters on the side, Frank should be along in a bit and can maybe shed a little more light on those markings. Sadly it's not a Type 97 sniper rifle, but its infinitely more interesting to study, according to some. Thanks for posting. Got any more pictures? Trey
Cannon1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That is very helpful.
Cannon1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Chinese conversions. Do you mean this is a Chinese copy of a Japanese Type 38 or a captured one converted?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: conversion Reply with quote

Usually they started out as standard production Japanese Military Rifles that looks to be a Type 38 (most seem to be), probably Tokyo Arsenal, at one time it had a chrysanthemum, and all other normal Type 38 markings. After being Captured/bought/acquired, the Chinese felt the need to convert them from 6.5 Japanese caliber to 8mm Mauser, they usually removed the normal receiver markings and remarked with new caliber designation, notched the receiver for the longer cartridge, and extended the magazine well for the longer cartridge. Some have slightly different markings, but generally they all indicate 8mm Mauser conversions.
Francis C. Allan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Chinese Markings Reply with quote

As the moderator noted, the markings are Chinese and indicate a postwar modification. They are: 徑 ロ 九 七 = QI-JIŪ-KOU-JING – Seven-Nine-Mouth-Diameter – “7.9 Caliber” (Read right to left). It is likely that the rifle is a Japanese made Type 38, but some were made in China, most of which are identified as 6/5 Infantry Rifles.

The Chinese converted thousands of Type 38 to 8mm Mauser (7.92x57) to ease their logistics system. It was probably initially done by the Nationalist Chinese, but this is by no means certain.

You don't see many of these anymore. They were imported in the late 1970s and early 1980s. There will be no more imported as they are all gone.

Enjoy.

Frank

(386) 445-4225
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: