Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on Japanese cailibers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch mosin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Question on Japanese cailibers Reply with quote

I don't no anything about Japanese rifles, but I do know they look great.
I have never seen one on a Dutch or German range.
The only ones I've seen were in a museum about the Royal Dutch East Indies Army.

The types that I see most in all the forums are the Type 38 / 44 and 99.
Why is this????
Are they the most common????
Do they perform well on the range????
What caliber are they????
Is there enough surplus ammo available or do you have to reload???
Are cases readily available or do you have to reform?????

I know, I know.....a lot of questions, but I do think they are very interesting and very nice looking.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Japanese Calibers Reply with quote

The Type 38's, 44's, and 99's are most often seen on the boards most likely because they were the 'standard' Japanese weapons of the WWII era. Since they were 'standard', they were more easily accessible for souvenir hunters. They were widely produced so I guess that would make them the most common. While they are 'common', they are entirely collectible due to the number of variations and changes during production. We track 20+ solid feature changes on the 99 datasheet from early to late production.

The Type 38's and 44's were in 6.5 Japanese. caliber.
The Type 99's were in 7.7 Japanese. caliber.

Type 38 Rifle production from 1905 to end of production in the early-mid 40's (best guess) was around 2,987,000 (McCollum)

Type 38 Carbine production started a little later, and ended around the same time as rifle production. Total was around 543,000. (McCollum)

Type 44 production began around 1911 and probably continued through the late 30's, possibly early 40's. Total was around 91,000 (McCollum)

Type 99 production began around 1939 (possibly later) in Long and Short rifle configurations and continued through the end of the war. Totals around 2,396,500 + around 38,000 long rifles(McCollum).

I'm not a shooter but have heard that they are pretty accurate.

There is very little surplus ammo available. Original Japanese ammo falls into the 'collector ammo' area, it is corrosive, and runs $3-$5 or more a round. There is some Chinese manufactured ammo available surplus, but I believe it is corrosive as well, but cheaper, and usually found on Japanese stripper clips. For years Norma has produced both 6.5 and 7.7 commercial loads and brass, but I understand that the 6.5 Japanese cases are a little undersized and bulge at the neck upon firing. Graf & Sons is supposed to be producing correct brass now, and much more affordable. They are supposed to be offering commercial loads in the near future.

I'll try and get someone to clarify and elaborate on the technical reloading aspect of it since I'm not a reloader. Thanks for posting. Trey
dutch mosin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Japanese calibers Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Trey.
This really gives me a lot of info on these fine rifles.
I think it's difficult to spot one over here, but I'll keep my eyes open from this moment on.
Thanks for finding me some info on reloading this rifle and / or reformig cases.
I can guess where you might find it. Very Happy

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Calibers Reply with quote

Shannon gave me permission to post his article here quite some time ago, I was too lazy and asked him to do it, apparently he was too lazy as well, so nobody found the article here. I've got it under the reference section now. Trey
car99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dutch! During WW1 the British purchased T38's for the Russians and their own use, so there is a possibility of seeing some of those at least in museums. The Russians bought some for themselves too........Jim
dutch mosin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reloading Japanese rifles Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Jim.
Now I know where to start looking.

Trey.
Found the post on reloading.
Great info.
Saw some calibers that I already shoot that can be reformed in to Japanese calibers.
This info should keep me of the street for a while.
I will keep you all informed and let you know when I find something over here.
Thanks a lot.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: