Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Use Broomhandle Mauser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Japanese Use Broomhandle Mauser? Reply with quote

I had been eyeing a broomhandle mauser with a Japanese style holster/stock for several years. Recently a fellow collector purchased the piece, asked me about it and sent me these pictures. The stitching and some of the hardware is consistant with what you'd expect to see on a Japanese holster. There are no extra markings on the holster or pistol. Pistol is matching, but has had the lanyard loop ground off. Anyone confirm/deny that this is Japanese?
Thanks, Trey

(click on pictures for full size)

Last edited by gwsiii on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Broom Handle Reply with quote

Here are the responses thus far:

"Trey, the pistol is probably Chinese. From the appearance of the grips, I would guess it's a post WW1 Simson rework. Do you remember an encircled "S" and date on the chamber side, such as 1920? Lots of the Simson reworks were shipped to China. And the strap on the holster does not appear to be Japanese, at least from my experience."
Fred Honeycutt

"There are, as you probably well know, examples of Broomhandles with conventional wood holster/stocks having been used by Japanese officers. One such example is a 1920 Simson rework of a model 1896 Broomhandle in 7.63mm with a probable Chinese-made wood stock brought back by a vet from the Philippines - it is pictured on page 145 of Honeycutt's Military Pistols of Japan, 3rd edition. Interesting piece your friend has."
Gunnar Abramson

"Not sure what type of response you have gotten to date on this, but first let me say that I've never seen one like it. Also, I like it. As for being Japanese, I can't see anything in the photo's that would lend me to believe it is not Japanese.
My only thought is that I know the Chinese used a lot of the broomhandles, and as such any thoguht that it might be Chinese?"
Dale Crabtree
Scott Labak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Japanese Broom Handle Mauser Reply with quote

Trey thanks for publicizing this mystery. I'm just a beginner collector and the owner of the subject piece. The pistol has no Dates or Simson rework markings. The only markings are Imperial German. The date of manufacturing of the pistol puts in the 1911-1915 time frame as per serial #'s. As for the Leather Holster and Strap, I believe they are consistent with material and hand sewn stitching. The roller buckle on the strap is consistent with Honeycutt's Third Edition of "Military Rifles of Japan" pgs 193 and 195. Asian Yes! But where and how many made? One piece of information on the holster is an atypical male end(tic) attached to the main body of the holster to which the butt(flap) of the holster is snapped(closed/opened) is shaped in a form of a Royal Crown.
scott labak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: