Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type I Story & Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fujimo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Type I Story & Question Reply with quote

Greetings,
Looks like a good board with lots of knowledge & the right attitude toward collecting. Glad I found it.

I am certainly not new to firearms, but just recently acquired my first Japanese rifle. A Type I brought back by a Marine Raider who fought in the Pacific Theater. He told me the following about how he got it:

After the heavy fighting was over on Okinawa there were still snipers harassing our Soldiers & Marines. The platoon ahead of his finally killed one particulary tough one. After that, other Marines coming through thought the guy was still alive and continued to pump shots into him. The body ended up looking like hamburger. My friend picked up the rifle and brought it back.

That dead snipers rifle is sitting here next to me. It is not as pristine as other Type I's I've seen around. But I like it and the story that came with it.

So here is my question - What bayonet usually came with the Type I? Any and all help will be appreciated.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

That's great history with the rifle. The proper bayonet would be the typical Japanese Type 30 bayonet. I would imagine it would have a hooked crossguard, and probably a polished blade. Send me the serial number of your rifle (with letter suffix) and we'll report it to the guys collecting information on the Type I. I think the reported suffixes are none, and A-L, with apparently 9999 rifles per block, if serialization started at 1, 10K if it started at 0. Excellent post (argument) HERE with some reported serial# ranges. Thanks for posting. Trey
fujimo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,
The serial number is G512.

It has a cleaning rod & original sling. The sling has paint markings on the inside that translate to a couple of "2's" and what looks like an upside-down "Y". Could have been the snipers unit. But then, what do I know.
I've only had it a few days. Haven't even done a thorough cleaning yet. I'm waiting for a book to come in before I take the bolt apart.

My father was an Army Combat Engineer and also fought in the Pacific. He has the same attitude many Westerners have towards Japanese firearms. Since I was born in Japan you would think this would be a natural interest. But no, it took a long time for me to get here. I'll be taking the Type I up to him and see what he says. Should be interesting.

Steve

PS - I know this rifle wasn't actually "Born In Japan" but now my interest is peaked. Next will probably be a Type 38.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

I'll pass the number along. I started with 1 that my Grandfather brought back, then, in 1993 I bought another, I found the 'bible' shortly thereafter and I haven't looked back since. Good Luck. Trey
fujimo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the "bible" be Japanese Rifles of WWII by Duncan O. McCollum? If not, please let me know what it is and any other good references.

Another tidbit from my conversation with the fella who brought back the rifle. Since the Type I was Naval issue, I asked him who would have been carrying it on Okinawa. He said there were Imperial Marines on the island who were brought down from China. They were tough battle-hardened opponents. Maybe the sniper was one of those guys.
This stuff all happened long ago but there are still people around who were there and can talk about it. Fascinating.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

Steve, the 'bible' is Military Rifles of Japan 5th edition, by Fred Honeycutt Jr. and F. Patt Anthony. I'm checking with Fred about ordering info, I think it's around $40-$45 shipped. You can find it at some of the online booksellers. I believe you can also order it directly from him. See this link for more reference materials. There are also some others listed here on the forum. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

Steve, Here's the info. Fred said he was out of Military Pistols of Japan. These two are available.

Military Rifles of Japan is available @ $42.00 postpaid
Japanese Explosive Ordnance (Army & Navy Ammunition) is available @ $25.00 postpaid.
Please send check or m.o. to:
Fred Honeycutt
5282 Ridan Way
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl 33418-6029.
car99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, I bought a beautiful Type I from a guy who contacted me through your board last summer. I reported the rifle's # to the Carcano forum, but never heard back from them. Do you give the info to them or someone else? I'll gladly pass it to you if you want it........Jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

I pass the info along to Franchi, he seems to be keeping track from his post on gunboards mentioned above. You might click on that link, and shoot him off an email. Trey
car99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, this one is L 195 and has PB on the bolt handle base and on the rear sight, so it was made by Berretta........Jim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, I'll pass it along. Trey
fujimo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,

Well I cleaned & oiled it. Looks good & has a nice action. Found Western letters "FA" in a few places. Care to comment?

My father got a kick out of seeing the rifle. He went on to tell me how they had run over and bulldozed piles of captured Japanese rifles after the fighting. I know, it hurts to think about it, but back then most of those young servicemen could only think of going home. Most of them didn't think to bring back souvenirs.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Type I Reply with quote

I think the FA mark is for Fabbrica D'Armi which might mean Army manufacturer or Army Arsenal. There is a website on the Carcano Here they do not appear to have updated the Type I database in some time. I may have just missed the significance of the FA mark though. Trey
fujimo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right!

I just found the letters "FNA" on the forward side of the safety. So I figure it's from Fabbrica Nationale D'Armi of Brescia.

Steve
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Type I production Reply with quote

I finally got around to checking some of my other reference material. According to Japanese Contract Rifles by White and Allan, with research contributed by Keep and Zielinski:
Series A-F - Gardone (includes intial run, no letter prefix) 70K
Series G-J - FNA-Brescia 40K
Series J-L - Beretta 30 K
Totals assume production at 10K per series.
Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: