Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arisaka Type 99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Arisaka Type 99 Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a T99 that I'm considering buying. I have no idea
of value. I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me a
rough idea. Here is the info I have found with along my assesment of condition;

Mfg: Toyo Kogyo
Ser#: 49849 Series 31 (1940-41?)
Mono Pod and AA Sights
Matching Bolt and Extractor
2 Piece Stock
Cleaning Rod

I would rate metal finish at about 80% all matching wear.
Stock is in good condition with usual dents and dings and
some rough handling marks.
Bore is shiney with some pitting just beyond the throat
although the Rifling isn't very strong. I have no accurate
way to check the MW. I do know that 7.7 is close to .308
and with an M2 Ball Cartridge there is plenty showing per
"Bullet Test".

TIA, Dan
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: 31st series Reply with quote

Dan, as with anything, a sight unseen value is tough to nail down. You did not mention whether the mum was intact, struck, or ground. That is a key point with some collectors. Also whether safety and firing pin match, they should be numbered. The Japanese used a different style rifling (metford?) that does not have sharp/crisp edges. The bore is also chrome so your bore is probably fine. A matching/ground rifle in the condition you described would probably run $200-$300. If mum is intact, all parts match, and are original add, $50-$100 or so. If mismatched, ground, and/or non-original parts, $175-$275, Original Toyo Kogyo monopods have an inspection mark at the base, near where the monopod meets the stock. If you pull the monopod down and look on the base, there should be an inspection mark there. In my opinion, staked screws (unturned) bring an added bonus. Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for posting. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: