Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Value of a Nagoya Series 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Value of a Nagoya Series 6 Reply with quote

My dad picked up a Series 6 Nagoya at a garage sale, along w/ a Kokura blued bayonet and oringinl, pretty nice frog. The T99 has the short rod, no cover, ground, no provision for a pod, all matching. No wings, sn 7990. Wood is dinged, not sanded, chrome lined barrel. Knurled knob. Any idea of value?
thanks
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Nagoya 6th series Reply with quote

That's a nice find, Without seeing it, its hard to tell for sure, somewhere in the $150-$225 range for the rifle, add $75 or more for the bayonet and frog in good shape. Thanks for posting, let me know if you have any other questions. Please take the time to fill out a datasheet and send it to me. The link is in my signature below. Trey
popup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: thanks and Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. Do you take e-submissions of your data sheet? I will include the kokura 34th LD that my dad brought back w/ him from the pacific. I was surprised to discover that the numbers didnt match on that one because I know that he has been the only owner since it left Japanese possesion and has never replaced a part on it, but the dust cover doesnt match the reciever, and the bolt and firing pin dont match the dc or the receiver either, although they match each other. Has your research given you a feel for whether LDs have a have percentage of mismatched numbers? I figure since the sn on this one is 72600, pretty late in the series, maybe the factory used what they had with no regard for numbers. It goes contray to how I always thought mismatching came about, that is by collectors replacing missing parts as they restore a gun. This one has the mum, and even with the mismatch I consider it as original.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Nagoya 6th Reply with quote

You can fill out a sheet and email it to me, but I don't have anything set up for on-line capture. One of the common practices on bringbacks, to prevent accidental misfire during the voyage, was to set up barrels, as you came on the ship, your bolt went in the barrel, ".30 cal bolts (7.7) went in one barrel," ".25 cal bolts went in the other." When you got off the ship, you fished a bolt out of the barrel. Some Vets have reported that they left the bolts in the guns, but pulled the firing pin, safety, and spring, reassembled them into one unit and put it in the barrels. Others, clipped the firing pins before bringing on board. Sometime in the late 32nd or early 33rd series (1942-43ish) dust cover use was discontinued from the factories. Any history involved in the souvenir process and where the rifle came from would be greatly appreciated. If the screws are still staked in, don't bother trying to remove them. I'd almost rather have staked, pristine looking screws than a mum. Thanks for posting. Let me know if you have any other questions. Trey
popup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

I had to wait to call my dad until he got back from giving my inheritance to the local injun tribe...He says there was no barrel for bolts, both guns went in his sea bag and he has never removed the bolt. He picked it up along w/ a t99 lmg at the airport hanger on Peleliu in late 1945. He said by the time he got there all the "good" stuff was gone to the officers and all he could get was a lousy lmg, the LD, and two bayonets. He said everything in the pile was covered with cosmoline. Niether the rifle or the machine gun were cleaned until 1992, when I did the evil deed. The LMG was as never fired. All those years of aiming down on the Good Humor man and struggling to pull the bolt back was from the very stiff grease packed inside the gun. I always wondered how they could shoot a gun with so much grease, but after cleaning it, I dont think they ever did, and same with the rifle. Both have 98% blue left. the lmg matchs w/ mum, had the dust cover on it instead of the flash hider and is the best example I've ever seen. So if the bolt on the rifle was swapped it was by the Japanese. and it was probably done at the factory as I dont think it was ever shot. I cant explain the fact that dust covers were discontinued at Kokura at the 33rd series and this is a 34th with a mismatced cover as recovered from the field.
I'll send those forms out.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Nagoya 6th Reply with quote

That's interesting. Its all history. Check your inspection marks on the back of the bolt handle and lip of the dust cover. If they are Toyo Kogyo, you might be right, I've been wrong before. When did your Dad come back from the Pacific? What we are finding is the 'official souvenirs' prior to the surrender that were brought back, still had mums, or were actually defaced by the Japanese before capture. The stuff immediately after the surrender is mostly ground, and starting about mid-late 1946, struck or fully mummed. Does he still have the 'capture' paperwork? Those are great finds. My grandad brought back a 4th series carbine, and a few swords. That's what I started with. Its sort of 'grown' now. I'm in the process of moving the gun room. New baby on the way, Daddy and his toys have to relocate to a larger area. Trey
popup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wodering why you were saying toyo kogyo, I was only seeing the kokura stamp. On closer examination of the series mark, the rifle appears to be 25th series Kokura. There are marks to the right of the arsenal stamp but they appear to be some type of misstrike.(four horizontal marks, looks like two equal signs next to each other, ==).
My dad's "capture papers" consist of a "certificate of clearance" dated 5/31/46. I guess he mailed the stuff back. The letter only mentions the lmg and one bayonet, and claims them to be worth less then $50. He then put the lmg on a form 6, application to import.
interestingly, on the form 6 the model of the gun is listed as 17.10, the manf. date. Noone could read the t99 characters right above the sn and date.
I have yet to check the proof marks on the parts of the 25th series LD..
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Nagoya 6th Reply with quote

Sorry about the Kokura/Toyo Kogyo mix up, when you said 34th Kokura, I figured you had the series right, but the arsenal wrong (missed the 2nd stamp). Papers are great. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: