Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early T-14 magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weimar_lugers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Early T-14 magazine Reply with quote

How unusual is a Type 1 magazine? I picked up a matching rig today and this was the 2nd magazine (the rig does not match this magazine).

gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Nambu mag Reply with quote

To cut down on confusion between between the 14 and 94 mags, we are now using the Alphabet (A-F) for 14 mags, and Roman Numerals (I-IV) for 94 mags. From what I can tell, Type A mags were exclusive to Nagoya Arsenal (only) marked pistols through 1934. I'm checking with Dan Larkin for more information. Thanks for posting. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: 14 mag Reply with quote

I knew I'd forgotten something. Here's the reply I got from Dan Larkin. Sounds like you've got a good one. Trey

Quote:
There are eight different Type 14 magazine styles charaterized by finish (nickel or blue), base material (aluminum or alloy), latch cutout shape (triangular or rectangular), notch for frame spring (no or yes), and manufacturer (Chigusa, Tokyo, Kokura, Kokubunji, or Toriimatsu). Some are quite common, some are moderatly scarce, and two are really scarce.

The magazine is a Type I (Derby/Brown nomenclature) from Chigusa. It is also referred to as a Type A using another identification method. It is the earliest style Type 14 magazine and the only one with a triangular latch cutout shape. Chigusa produced guns from about November 1926 through about November 1932. The inspection marks on the magazine (TA = looks like a window pane; and the pentagon shape) were on very early magazines from November 1926 through early 1928; some will also be found in 1929. Chigusa Type I magazines are the scarcest version of Type 14 magazines to be found and command the highest prices - usually about twice the normal Type 14 magazine value.

I hope this helps.

Dan

weimar_lugers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Trey, and thank Dan for me!

ed
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Type 14 mag Reply with quote

Ed, no problem. Glad to be of service. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: