Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions on value of Arisaka Paratroop Type 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: questions on value of Arisaka Paratroop Type 2 Reply with quote

I have an Arisaka Type 99 Paratroop "take down" rifle. My father has had it for about 30-35 years. I believe it is in pretty good condition but I am not a collector by any means. The mum has been ground off like most others from what I understand. It is SN#9387, rifle only no bayonet with it. Neither of us has ever shot the rifle. If nothing else it is a wonderful conversation piece. Any information would be appreciated!
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: T2 Reply with quote

The Type 2 paratroop rifle was accepted in 1942. It was to be used by parachute troops. It was modeled after the Type 99 short rifle, its in 7.7 Japanese caliber (7.7x58). They produced about 22,000 of these. Most are found in excellent condition.

The rifles match to a combination of assembly number and serial number. The bolt and components match to the last three digits of the serial number. The front band is numbered to the last three digits of the serial number. Each 'half' will have a separate assembly number on it on the left side plate Which should match each half, as well as the number on the barrel and or receiver where the halves meet. Without seeing your rifle it is hard to put a value on it. If matching and original condition, ground, $700-$1200 based on condition and parts. It would have been issued with a cleaning rod, matching dust cover (last 3 digit of serial number), and fold out anti-aircraft wings on the rear sight. If it is a mismatched bolt, mismatch halves, or refinished, that will detract significantly, say $500-$900. If you have pictures, send them to me and I'll post them for you. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Thanks for posting. Trey
Daniel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: More Rifle info. Reply with quote

The rifle SN# 9387, the Bolt #387, Front barrel band #387.
The Barrel is #575, Both connection plates #575.
Cleaning rod is included.
Also anti aircraft sight are also included.
I have digital pictures but I do not know how to attach to this sight. If you have an email I can send them to you.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: pictures added Reply with quote

Daniel's rifle (he has decided to keep it for now):

DK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rifle is in great shape! Thanks for sharing.
deleur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks great.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: t2 Reply with quote

What is so nice about this particular rifle is that it stayed in such nice shape over the years. About 50% of what I find, that are purchased from direct connections (my grandad/uncle/father/cousin brought this back, its been in the closet/attic/barn/chicken house for 60 years) have not 'survived' storage so well. After all, they were just old 'J**' rifles. One in particular I purchased was traded in by an old lady to the local co-op. She need chicken feed to get through the winter and traded it for about $50 worth in 1994. Its a 23rd series with all the goodies, mum, wooden tag w/kanji, matching dust cover but mismatched bolt. It was probably 'unissued' when sent back, but 40 years of neglect had aged it to a straight grade 2 gun. I like it though. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: