Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAX Show Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smzeigler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: MAX Show Report Reply with quote

2003 MAX Show Report

The 2003 MAX show was held in the Monroeville, PA, ExpoMart, 11-14 September.

Get-Together Notes.

Thursday evening Anne and I hosted a small get-together at our home in Pittsburgh. I wish to publicly thank my wife, Anne, for prepared such an outstanding meal and tolerating us. The fifteen of us engaged in the usual show-and-tell, libations and visiting. After dinner, and the highlight of the evening, was Greg Babich’s Japanese Rifle Grenade Launcher presentation. Greg’s presentation, complete with original examples, covered the Type 100, Type 2 & Spigot Grenade Launchers. As a companion to his presentation was an impressive handout. Greg gave each of us cover and bound booklets of articles he and Thomas Keep had written for past Banzai issues. Greg took the time to dedicate and number each booklet, 1 thru 15, which made a great souvenir of the evening. It is a great addition to my library. We are looking forward to the impending release of their book on the subject. Greg's website link: http://www.tekidanki.com/
MAX Show Notes:

This year’s show appeared to have less dealers and lower attendance. I think this is a result of competing shows throughout the month of September. The Ohio Gun Collectors Show was the same weekend, the Ohio Valley Military Society near Cincinnati, OH was the following weekend and the JAG show in Louisville, KY is the weekend of the 26th. As a collector it is a great month for shows, but I think overall the competition dilutes them all. For those who have never attended a MAX show, it is primarily a militaria show featuring U.S. and German items. So if you are a diehard gun collector you did not miss much, and will be better severed going to the JAG show at the end of the month. That is not to say guns are not for sale they are just not that prevalent. Japanese items were fairly well sprinkled throughout the show, and few tables specialized in Japanese militaria. Eric Doody (MA), Reto and Kanae Kleinpeter (Japan), R.C. Nolte (PA) all had great selections of Japanese militaria for sale and Gene Gibson (PA) had the best selection of rifles for sale. I did not see or hear of any real treasures bought or sold at the show. With that being said, a nice complete Army helmet was bought, and the bayonet collectors went broke on a seller from California. The bayonets were from the late Ralph Allan’s collection. But in my opinion, the three or four rifle grenade launcher on Mr. Nolte’s table had to have been the most unique/rare weapons related items sold. A handful of Japanese rifles were for sale as well. They ranged from T-18 Murata’s through the Type 99 Short Rifles. Prices ranged from good to over priced. One dealer had well worn Trainer and a Series 3, Type 99, without the monopod and ground advertised for around the same price, $325. I bought a very nice S:33 Type 99 still in the box it was shipped home in, complete with capture paperwork. There were only about eight or ten exhibits. Jim Bogdan’s Japanese Ordnance and my Japanese Small Arms were the only Japanese displays.

On the darker side of the show, another collector, Nick L., and I looked at a suspect Type 99 Short Rifle with a battery powered light attached to nose cap. The seller suggested it might have been used by a prison guard. The power cord was wrapped around the fore end and the battery box attached about mid-stock with string. The rifle was a standard S:22 or 23 Kokura , with an intact mum, missing monopod, mismatche firing pin and with AA wings. The last 3 digits of the rifle’s serial number, 308, and a chrysanthemum were stamped from the inside out on the battery box lid. The lid had what appeared to be a Japanese label with Kanji clued to the lid. This prevented us from closely looking at the stampings. The light, battery box and gun all had tan colored dirt in the cracks and crevasses. I think this was an attempt to “age” the gun. The dirt looked unnatural and out of place. The seller was asking $1500 for it. Nick then noticed in the seller’s trunk what appeared to be a 6.5mm sniper rifle with leather sling and a scope attached to it. When he asked to look at it, he refused, claiming it was not his or for sale. The conversation deteriorated from there, and we returned to the show. When we mentioned our experience to a fellow collector he said he did not see the “light-gun”, but did look at the “6.5mm Sniper”. He said it was a standard Type 38 with bogus mount and long non-period scope mounted on the receiver. He said the mount blocked the bolt release, which prevented the bolt from being removed. He said overall the work was very sloppy. The seller did not state weather either gun was legitimate, or fake. The seller refused to give his name or bring the gun into the show. He looked mid-fifties, and appears to wear reddish/blonde toupee, with stocky build. He drove a late model, blue American sedan with Illinois tags. Buyers Beware!!

Next years MAX will be held the first weekend of October in Charlotte, NC

Thanks, and it was great seeing everyone!! Shannon Zeigler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: