Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMCA Show - Franklin TN November 24-25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: TMCA Show - Franklin TN November 24-25 Reply with quote

The Tennessee Militaria Collectors Association (TMCA) show is Friday and Saturday November 24-25 at the Cool Springs Marriott in Franklin Tennessee. Follow the link below for more info.
TMCA Info

Here's my display from this time last year, just a small carbine and accessory display.

I'll be there with something rusty and Japanese. Hope to see you there. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Show was very busy today, some nice stuff, and rare stuff (can you say Mukden 99?, Type 918?)changed hands. I'm eyeballing a couple bayonets that I don't have, an early bright blade nagoya, and a pointy top Toyoda Automatic Loom, both with frogs. Also got two Hawaii marked $1 bills, hope they're real. I hate to spend a bunch on bayonets and stuff I don't know much about, but I kind of like the stuff I've found today. More tomorrow. Trey
Jareth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Trey, what was the Mukden like? Condition & how come you didn't get it? Rolling Eyes
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: TMCA Reply with quote

Jareth, I thought mine was NRA wretched in the auction pictures, it actually cleaned up very good or better, this one, 00051, is truly NRA Wretcheder, and will clean up to NRA wretched, maybe. I've seen smoother corn cobs. But its a rare bird. I didn't realize it was on the market (as usual). Will post pictures in the next few evenings. Trey
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Chinese Rifles Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of the receivers of the two rifles: Two very rare birds indeed.

the Mukden (Hoten) 45th series rifle:

The Type 918, characters on the receiver are 9 1 8 Type (top to bottom):

Jareth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Yeah it looks rough! How badly mismatched was it? Figure bolt is completely wrong! Makes me wish I didn't force you to take a larger loan on that great rifle you got! Was hoping Doss's would be late like yours with dual arsenal marks.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: 45th series Reply with quote

From what I can tell, its a complete and total mismatch. I don't expect the Chinese cared much about matching. I didn't get to take it apart, but the bolt and stock are toyo kogyo, the rear sight did have wings at one time (springs are still there) but it is too badly pitted to make out any inspection marks on the back. The bayonet lug is un-numbered, it is an 'A' stock, type 'B' front band, with 'A' square cleaning rod catch, 'A' floor plate release, which would make the stock/front band/cr catch/floor plate release (by itself) an upper 99k Toyo Kogyo configuration. I've got to sit down with the pictures and compare them to my rifle and Bobby's receiver, another thing to add to the 'to do' list. This rifle was reported in the early/mid 80's but this will be the first 'modern' sheet on it. Trey
Jareth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Trey, I remember your stock needed restoration but was original. How was it proofed? To which arsenal? Thanks
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: stock Reply with quote

I'm can't say for sure that my stock is original, it is a chinese type 99 stock with what appears to be original finish. There are no inspection marks that I can find (inside or out). What is interesting about it, is the trigger guard assembly and butt plate stick out on the stock that I currently have it on, but fit perfectly on the stock that came on it. I've got to get the cracks repaired before I put it back on. Another of the many things on my 'to do' list. I may have been harsh about 00051, i expect it will clean up a little better than NRA wretched. It definitely needs a new stock though. Trey
Jareth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Wonder if any reported have Mukden proofed stocks? Or if they used other arsenals stocks? How does Doss's compare to Bobby's?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: mukden Reply with quote

Bobby's is just an action that a previous collector had assembled with Toyo Kogyo parts, Bobby pulled all those off, and just displays the action. Doss is supposed to let me take his apart and record any information on it I can before he lets it go. The datasheets didn't include inspection marks at the time that most were reported, so I only have modern datasheets on mine, bobby's action, and Doss'. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Shows, Discussion, Links, Thoughts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: