Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Type 14 mags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Type 14 mags Reply with quote

I see where the Type 14 mags are divided up into something like 7 types. I have the nickle ones separated from the blued ones in my mind. What are the characteristics of the rest?
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, found a topic regarding the mags over on Gun Boards. Dan Larkin has a pretty good handle on the mags. Now, what does a round feed ear look like compaired to a flat one?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Type 14 Mags Reply with quote

I'm not sure, I'll have to sit down and look and get back to you. Trey
type-14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round and flat issue really deals with sides of the magazine at the top in the middle. When I get home tonight I'll see if I don't have a photo to show the differences. Also, using Derby and Brown there really is 8 different types. The 7 & 8 depend totally on the inspection marks used, as they are both blued it depends on the marks as well as size of die stamps used as well. Dan is trying to narrow down just when the die stamp size was changed. To give you an idea on this I have a 19.11 date Type-14 and have 3 magazines that are all numbered to the last three digits of the serial number and yet only one will even seat properly in the magazine well. Stay tuned.
type-14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached image of the feed ends of Type II and Type IV mags showing their differences. Look at the "ears." On the Type II, the ears are flattened. On the Type IV, the ears are rounded.

All Type I, II, and III ears are flattened. All Kokubunji Types IV, V, and VI are rounded. That is one reason why the mags sometimes don't work with other arsenal guns. The jury is out on the Type VII ears, as they have been reported both ways. Type VIII ears are flattened.

The photo and above explanation provided by Nambu Mag GuRu himself (a.k.a. Dan Larkin) when I asked the same question.

This sure explains a lot.

gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: mag Reply with quote

Dale and Dan, thanks very much. I wasn't sure I understood the question exactly. There is so much more in the 'New HandCannons' that I have yet to figure out. Trey
UBE Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply, thank you. Now, I know what to look for in regards to these mags. One has to wonder just how many of these magazines were looked at to establish all of the information presented here.
John Davison
rampage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey,

The information about "ear" differences is not in the Derby/Brown book. That identifier was established after the book was printed, so it is pretty recent information.

Dan
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: mags Reply with quote

Dan, at least I don't have to feel guilty about missing that, tidbit of information, now to memorize the other umpteen things that are still in there. Thanks for you help. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: