Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T 14 trigger guard question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfields

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: T 14 trigger guard question Reply with quote

I am a babe in the woods when it comes to these pistols so here goes with my question. What year did they start making them with the larger trigger guard? Did they phase out the ones with the smaller trigger guard and then go strictly with the larger ones or did they make them concurrently? Thanks! Kim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: 14 Trigger guards Reply with quote

Kim, sorry It took so long to get back to you. Tokyo/Kokura didn't produce any factory production guns with Large Trigger Guards by the time they ceased production. Nagoya Nambu (referring to the placement of the Arsenal Marks, in that order) started using LTGs in 14.9 (September 1939) at 66753 (low reported LTG) and there is a small overlap as 66755 is reported with a Small Trigger Guard*.

You will see a few guns prior to this with LTGs that are possibly factory retro-fits (will be numbered to the gun), or actual field replacements (un-numbered, but proofed). I have a 5.7 dated Tokyo 14102 with STG, and 14110 with LTG, while the trigger guard is not numbered, it is proofed correctly and all other parts on the gun but the grips match. Trey

*info from Military Pistols of Japan (MPoJ), 4th edition, Honeycutt/Anthony
kfields

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Trey. I have one with a large trigger guard dated Aug or Sep of '41 and was curious about it. It has a bullet or shrapnel "ding" in the barrel and all matching including the magazine. Came with a bringback card from Okinawa and named to a fellow in the 1st Marine Div (another research project).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: