Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com
An information board for the Collector of Nippon Militaria

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    Back to Castle-Thunder.comCastle-Thunder.com    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  Castle-Thunder.com ChatLive Chat    ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24th Series Cleaning Rod question.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: 24th Series Cleaning Rod question. Reply with quote

I have a 24th series in the 52860 range, would the short screw in rod be correct for it.
What was the serial number range for the short push in rod in the 24th series?

strangms
gwsiii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: 24th rod Reply with quote

The rod pretty much depends on the catch. round catch, short screw in rod, square catch, short push in rod. Serial range for those runs to about 5600. Be careful of replaced stocks with 'A' cleaning rod catch though. Short push in rod stocks won't be drilled full length. 52k would be short screw in rod. Trey
strangms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trey!!

strangms
kfields

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did the short push-in rod start in the 23rd Series in the 90,000+ sn range?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: 24th rod Reply with quote

Highest Long rod reported is 86759, lowest short push in rod is 95786. Both of these are confirmed. Trey
kfields

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use of the short push-in rod for such a short period of time (maybe 10,000 or so rifles) makes for an interesting variation. I am lucky to have acquired 2 rifles with the short push-in rod. One a late 23rd series (sn 98,213) and an early 24th (sn 2,510).
gwsiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: 24th rod Reply with quote

Great finds both, the short push in rod has shown up in the early 37th series as well. Keep hunting....Trey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, I wasn't aware that some rifles in the 37th had the push-in rod. Are they of the same dimension/size as seen with the Kokura's? Have you been made aware of this feature by people who have sent in their T99 fact sheets to you on their 37ths?
gwsiii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: 24th rods Reply with quote

One rifle is reported in Doss' book on the Type 99 Short Rifle, I picked up another (#8615) at a local show last year, It has a TJK proofmark, and its design is a little different from the Kokura short push in rods, the cleaning rod channel is not drilled for a long rod. It seems like I have notes somewhere of 2-3 variations in the Kokura short push in rods. I don't have a Kokura rifle with the short push in rod, so I have a compare and contrast planned for a future visit to 'Arisaka Arms, North'. Trey
kfields

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an fyi, I checked the short push-in rods on my late 23rd and early 24th series rifles and both appear to be identical in dimensions. It would be interesting to see a 37th push-in rod. Hopefully my picture will attach!
[/img]
kfields

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, you reported the highest numbered series 23 with long rod to be 86,759. Would that coincide with when the Kokura Arsenal ceased manufacturing rifles with monopods and dustcovers? I'm also curious what the highest reported serial number for Kokura rifles with all the goodies. The reason why I'm asking is that I'm planning on picking up (after Christmas) a series 23, sn 86,125 that is supposed to be matching complete with monopod, AA sights, rod and matching dustcover. That series in Kokura is interesting to me in that I have one early complete rifle, and a very late rifle that reflects the cost cutting efforts and now a possible 3rd one right before they started to delete features. Thanks! Kim
gwsiii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: 23rd series Reply with quote

I don't think it does, That is the highest number with those features, reported, that I have confirmed. There are some more reported, but they have not been verified. Some people don't think to make note of that sort of thing on the data sheets or inadvertantly fill them in wrong. The type 'A' cleaning rod catch is reported up to 98210, but was it reported from a sheet with only an 'A' type, or is it really an 'F' type, or....That's where this stuff starts making your head hurt. Then, what if the stock has been replaced and you don't make a note of it. It is one big educational, headache. Sorry I can't be more specific. Pod went out somewhere in the early 96k range from the data. Trey
Earl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: More 23rd Series Info Reply with quote

I have one that falls inbetween the highest reported with the long rod and earliest with the short push rod for the 23rd series.

It is S#88,807. It is drilled for a long rod, but has a short push rod in it. This either means A) someone located a very rare cleaning rod and put it in it (only one I've ever owned) or B) perhaps somewhere inbetween S#86759 and #95786 the decision was made to go to the short push rod. Some rifles allready were drilled for the longer rod but got the shorter one anyways. That is my supposition at any rate.

The rifle (#88807) is matching/mummed with an original (hard as hell) rubberized canvas sling. Mine has AA bars but no DC. It does not have a pod and never did. Two drain holes in the stock. Clear Kokura Arsenal, 2nd factory stamp on the buttstock.

Earl
Big Ed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: 23rd series Reply with quote

Trey and fellow collectors I have 23rd series #91352 It has the long rod, monopod, and matching dust cover. Its all original and hasn't been messed with. I think the long rod may have been around a little longer than you may think. The stock also has very old mononpod marks in the woodand is Kokura proofed so I'm certain its NOT an add on. If I ever get good with my digital camera I'll post some pictures.
gwsiii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Rods Reply with quote

I'm about 4 months behind in getting datasheets keyed in, so be sure to send them in, this is the sort of thing we can all benefit from. Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Militaria at Castle-Thunder.com Forum -> Japanese Weapons and Militaria All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: